Options

SharePoint 2010 Opening Email messages

XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know Robert might be able to shed some light on this.....I was trying to find out within SP 2010 Email messages and attachments are now detached from one another (message is now an (.eml) and the attcachment is underneath with its perspective file extension,( i.e pdf, docs, etc.)). In the earlier SP 2007 version, Emails contained the attachment and were able to be opened as a (.msg) file which would contain the msg itself with the attachment. Would anybody know, is the option applicable within SharePoint 2010 as it was in 2007 to open an Outlook message with everything in one file?
LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't. But I can tell you why they did it this way. This facilitates working with the documents in a SP Designer based workflow.

Why do you want them stored as attachments to the email?
  • Options
    Yes, technically, it is a better practice and see why they did it this way.

One of the departments has a SP site where emails are sent/kept. When they go into their SP site they click on the email and in the previous version (SP 2007) the Outlook message will come up with the attachment ready to be viewed/modified and re-sent. Within SP2010, this does not happen since they are separate files now and users are forced to draft an email and insert the verbiage from the email msg and have to save and append the attachment to the message to send out the email to clients. All in all, its more of a nice to have/enhancement. They told me they like the older version for this feature and are now ranting about this because of the upgrade

• Options
    Hey Rob, I think I've found a solution...currently working on it now. It's dealing with writing a Custom Email EventHandler...hopefully this feature will work

• Options
    Let me know what you end up doing. I bet I will see something like this in the future. Event receivers are really easy to set up and frequently what need to be done rather than an actual workflow.
  • Options
    Well I found out why I was getting an error while trying to install the SharePoint feature. Seemed that the xml file I created was an actual xml and could not find the file. Re-created in VS and it worked fine. Having a little dilemma with trying to get mail to route to this document library via the libraries email address

• Options
    Well we found out what was wrong....seemed that we had to add an MX record, start the SMTP service and we were looking in the wrong IIS Manager.....darn 6.0....lol. Now I can test to see if my feature works...smh icon_redface.gif

• Options
    well....figured something out that should work....

Within in SharePoint 2010, in the perspective Document Library, you can switch the view to Explorer View instead of Web view. This enables the Windows Explorer view for the user. Next, open the email message(.eml) and the appended attachments will be attached for the user to send out to their perspective party....all this for something that simple...smh

• Options
    LOL! I will certainly keep this in my internal kb!