Options

IT Salary Guide 2012

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Little bit more info in this years report compared to last years. Can't say I'm surprised by anything in it. Glad to be in the #1 most desired area right now. ;)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm always underpaid according to these things.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Underpaid by 15k-30k according to this. Not a good feeling at all. No wonder I'm barely scraping by.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Those looking for a new gig may want to look at the 7 Interview Questions Every Hiring Manager Should Ask.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Salaries range a lot more by region, qualifications, and experience than by job title. A "systems administrator" or "systems engineer" job could realistically range anywhere from $35K to $150K depending on several different factors.

Keep all this mind when reviewing a guide like this.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I take back what I said about being underpaid. I didn't look on page 14 where they specify how you figure it out for your location. My town is actually on the list. 77.5% of the salary listed. I'm still on the low end though.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My pay looks normal according to this chart. I showed a co-worker and he said it's wrong....
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm very underpaid considering the certs I have, location, and job title, but only been doing this for 15 months, so can't complain too much.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A bit underpaid but not by much. The other job perks such as company paid training, time off for training, fuel allowance for field work, and lest I forget trips (Jamaica is amazing this time of year btw), pair those with a management that actually listens and accepts/implements the input of the other staff, totally fine with what i'm getting.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Salaries range a lot more by region, qualifications, and experience than by job title. A "systems administrator" or "systems engineer" job could realistically range anywhere from $35K to $150K depending on several different factors.

Keep all this mind when reviewing a guide like this.

Location adjustments are part of this guide... For example, my location is an 81 IIRC, so the ranges they give are multiplied by 0.81 to figure out what it should be in my area. Compared to Chicago that is just 90 miles east of me which is a 122 IIRC, so you multiply by 1.22 for that area.

They also have the qualifications on there too... for example, add 9% if you have Unix/Linux experience, 7% if you have Windows 7 experience, etc.

If you read it and use it properly it should be fairly close. However I always find their data to be off compared to other sources like Salary.com or Glassdoor.com. I'm not a big fan of Robert Half Technologies personally.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are so many variables that affect your salary I find these reports utterly useless.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    Location adjustments are part of this guide... For example, my location is an 81 IIRC, so the ranges they give are multiplied by 0.81 to figure out what it should be in my area. Compared to Chicago that is just 90 miles east of me which is a 122 IIRC, so you multiply by 1.22 for that area.

They also have the qualifications on there too... for example, add 9% if you have Unix/Linux experience, 7% if you have Windows 7 experience, etc.

If you read it and use it properly it should be fairly close. However I always find their data to be off compared to other sources like Salary.com or Glassdoor.com. I'm not a big fan of Robert Half Technologies personally.

The guide lists Minneapolis and St. Paul as 10 points apart, which is pretty ridiculous since they border each other and are considered part of the same metropolitan area. This leads me to believe the regional salary adjustment is simply a multiplier based on relative cost of living in the city, rather than reflective of actual average salaries in the region (Minneapolis has a higher cost of living, but average salaries in the Twin Cities metro are generally not going to vary greatly based on the principal city in which one works).

The qualifications are too generic, and the "starting" salaries seem way too high. There are simply too many variables -- including the notoriously vague job titles used in this industry -- and most likely too poor of a sample size to take this guide seriously.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm really shocked this hasn't turned into a I hate Robert Half thread!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel like I'm underpaid, and according to that document, I am.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    wow...
    I have very little experience
    but to this
    Im hella underpaid o_O
    meh
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    thought it was fairly accurate...
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm really shocked this hasn't turned into a I hate Robert Half thread!
    Did I mention I hate Robert Half? (JK) Seriously, I got a great gig via them once. I have no complaints.

Using the adjustment rate mentioned by Everyone, that guide seems right on, actually.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did I mention I hate Robert Half? (JK) Seriously, I got a great gig via them once. I have no complaints.

Using the adjustment rate mentioned by Everyone, that guide seems right on, actually.

Good to know im only 10 thousand below :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Before I looked at the attached I was going to reply back asking if Project+ is still worth 80 grand like last year LOL

Hey I'm not really that underpaid, only by a few grand!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Going by the chart as an entry level Tier 1, slightly underpaid. But considering I've had no prior experience, I think my pay is fair. It would be a really nice pay raise if I got paid Tier II salary within a year (going by the chart). In any case, I don't have many complaints (for now) because of my lack of experience and certifications.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow if this is suppose to be total compensation, I am way the heck overpaid. I better be nicer to the boss.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm right on the money, like a boss icon_cool.gif

Edit:
    rsutton wrote: »
    There are so many variables that affect your salary I find these reports utterly useless.
    I agree, but it's fun to look!
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Good to know im only 10 thousand below :P
    Where are you in your career? Are you expecting to be pais at the high end?
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently slightly underpaid. I was slightly overpaid when I first started this job having little experience and no certs. My plan is to be overpaid by the time 2012 is over :)
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I'm about $2k under the high end when you throw in skills and locality adjustments. Since I have been here less than a year, I guess I'm fairly happy with that. Looks like I need to change job roles.
  • Options
    51505150 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    under paid but i already knew that icon_sad.gif