Options

How likely would i get a job with the CCENT certification?

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
I live in NYC and have 5 years of desktop support.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Two different technologies not very likely.
  • Options
    so is there a point in getting the ccent? I want to do networking.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sizeon wrote: »
    so is there a point in getting the ccent? I want to do networking.

Because it's the first step. It will show an employer that you are working on cisco certifications.
    There are a lot of people that still don't know what the CCENT is. So they have to look it up.
    When they see that it's part of the CCNA then they'll know that you're working on the CCNA.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    So i would need to get the CCNA in-order to get a job?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certs don't get you jobs. It's a process where certs are a small part.

I have worked for a number of places and I have never met anyone who "just networks" its always part of a larger job. Couple your skills. Desktop support leads to server support. Server support leads to networking. Networking leads to voip . They all lead to security.

The "sweet" spot is what your employers needs.

Volunteer work, experience, certs, social skills etc etc. Dozens of books on the subject. Read a couple of them.

But no, the CCENT is pretty much worthless (21 jobs on dice). I am going to recommend you shoot for at least CCNA (1171 jobs on dice.com) or any of the CCNA specializations to take it to a employable level.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I would save your money on the CCENT test. Study the CCENT material and familiarize yourself with networking and Cisco, then spend that money you saved on a CCNA test.

I've been helping my friend get into the networking field and I've seen a lot of baseline jobs that prefer a CCNA or networking experience (or both) -- I haven't seen any jobs that specifically ask for CCENT.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    ImTheKing wrote: »
    Personally, I would save your money on the CCENT test. Study the CCENT material and familiarize yourself with networking and Cisco, then spend that money you saved on a CCNA test.

I've been helping my friend get into the networking field and I've seen a lot of baseline jobs that prefer a CCNA or networking experience (or both) -- I haven't seen any jobs that specifically ask for CCENT.
    while i agree the OP should set their sights on the CCNA, there's nothing wrong with the 2 exam path if that helps break up the material for someone who may not have a lot of networking experience.

side note: there's only a $5 cost savings doing the 1 exam method VS the 2 exam method when going for the CCNA.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    sizeon wrote: »
    So i would need to get the CCNA in-order to get a job?

as others have stated there is no magic formula to getting a job. experience, certs, degree(s), good luck, etc.... all can help you get that interview but nothing is a sure fire bet.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    while i agree the OP should set their sights on the CCNA, there's nothing wrong with the 2 exam path if that helps break up the material for someone who may not have a lot of networking experience.

I've personally never found a test to be the useful part of a certification; the studying is what helped. The test doesn't really reinforce much since it doesn't tell you exactly what you got wrong. That, and I have to travel 150 miles to test :<
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Certs don't get you jobs. It's a process where certs are a small part.

I have worked for a number of places and I have never met anyone who "just networks" its always part of a larger job. Couple your skills. Desktop support leads to server support. Server support leads to networking. Networking leads to voip . They all lead to security.

The "sweet" spot is what your employers needs.

Volunteer work, experience, certs, social skills etc etc. Dozens of books on the subject. Read a couple of them.

But no, the CCENT is pretty much worthless (21 jobs on dice). I am going to recommend you shoot for at least CCNA (1171 jobs on dice.com) or any of the CCNA specializations to take it to a employable level.

Certs are a small piece of the puzzle in combination with your work experience and degrees
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63