Just got the MCITP: SA

IT ExplorerIT Explorer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished my MCITP:sa by passing 642 and 646 this week with 9XX, I gave them two months for each one, now I will go for some rest to continue on exchange 2010 (662) or Sharepoint 2010 (667) , Actually I started before with exchange 2010, but it still need a lot of preparation to pass it, and these days I'm hesitant between these two products, which one is more valuable in the job market, could you give me your advice ?

Comments

• longhorn79longhorn79 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
    2012/2013 Certification Goals:
    ICND1: Work in progress
    ICND2: depends on ICND1
    70-640 AD: if I have time
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exchange is the more commonly deployed product and arguably has more challenges in ongoing management. However, qualified SharePoint engineers are less frequent and in my opinion SharePoint has a steeper initial learning curve.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great work, IT Explorer! I don't know which would be more valuable in the job market. On the one hand a lot of places use Exchange but not necessarily SharePoint, whereas on the other hand, as ptilsen points out, SharePoint experts are fewer and can probably command a higher salary. Personally I'd stick with Exchange seeing as you've already started with it.

Just out of curiosity, did you find 70-640 to be harder than 70-642, or was it the other way around for you?
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Nice job I should be ready for mine in about a month.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • IT ExplorerIT Explorer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanx to all,

Saundie, For me I did 640 first , and as usual the first of any series will be something unique . After Studying the 640 I found the other courses easier, however starting with 640 will force you to depend on technet and necessity for overlabbing will appear for some topics that are mentioned in the 642 to go deeper into their details, but after passing 640 you'll see that other exams are easier and will save a lot of time on the other two due to your overlabbing on 640.

Best wishes
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Saundie, For me I did 640 first , and as usual the first of any series will be something unique . After Studying the 640 I found the other courses easier, however starting with 640 will force you to depend on technet and necessity for overlabbing will appear for some topics that are mentioned in the 642 to go deeper into their details, but after passing 640 you'll see that other exams are easier and will save a lot of time on the other two due to your overlabbing on 640.
    Thanks IT Explorer, that's useful to know. I'm sitting the 70-640 exam on Friday, and have booked myself on for 70-642 on the 24th of Feb. I was concerned that I had not left myself enough time to get ready for the 70-642, but based on what you said, I feel a bit more confident that I'll be okay. I guess we'll find out soon enough ;)

Did you decide which avenue to pursue next, out of Exchange and SharePoint?
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congrats on your accomplishment!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Saundie wrote: »
    I'm sitting the 70-640 exam on Friday, and have booked myself on for 70-642 on the 24th of Feb. I was concerned that I had not left myself enough time to get ready for the 70-642, but based on what you said, I feel a bit more confident that I'll be okay. I guess we'll find out soon enough ;)

If you are not sure you are ready for the 642, then I would bump the date back a bit. I'm studying for that exam now and it's a bear.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    If you are not sure you are ready for the 642, then I would bump the date back a bit. I'm studying for that exam now and it's a bear.

YES IT WAS (caps were needed) Firstly, Congrats! I'm happy for you; it's an accomplishment I look forward to as well. Secondly, did you do the 642 and 646 all in the same week? If you did, wow you are a brave soul.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • clongdiver79clongdiver79 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Pertaining to your next exam question, I would recommend Exchange 2010, if nothing else its deployments are numerous and it's the dominant enterprise messaging application (including previous versions). While Sharepoint may command a higher salary, a good Exchange Admin can always find work at a very decent salary, at least here in the Gulf South region.
  • IT ExplorerIT Explorer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all again,

I seems that Exchange is my next target,
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Congrats mate!!

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool: