Capture the Flag competitions

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Have any of you done any CTF competitions at a security conference? This year I want to go to Derbycon and like most cons I think they are going to do a CTF competition. I would like to participate but I have never been involved with anything like that. If any of you have, how did you prepare for it? Did you have a team or did you go by yourself? Any tips or tricks?

This is a pretty good write up of last years CTF at Derbycon
http://volatile-minds.blogspot.com/2011/10/derbycon-ctf-results-and-notes.html

icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    first rule of CTF club is dont talk about CTF club
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Second rule of CTF club is dont talk about CTF club.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    I'm seriously considering taking my wife and daughter to DerbyCon this year, but we shall see what happens. CTF events at some of these conferences are played in 'teams', so even if you are not familiar with certain tools / scenarios chances are someone in your team is. Don't sweat it and have fun!
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    remember its not always about winning but annoying the other team as well
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ipchain wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering taking my wife and daughter to DerbyCon this year, but we shall see what happens. CTF events at some of these conferences are played in 'teams', so even if you are not familiar with certain tools / scenarios chances are someone in your team is. Don't sweat it and have fun!

I am such a noob. I wouldn't want to hold a team back icon_sad.gif

Have you done a CTF before Ipchain?

If you do go we should have a TE meetup. That would be really cool. I am trying to find prices for Derbycon but from what I remember it doesn't cost too much.
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    I am such a noob. I wouldn't want to hold a team back icon_sad.gif

Have you done a CTF before Ipchain?

If you do go we should have a TE meetup. That would be really cool. I am trying to find prices for Derbycon but from what I remember it doesn't cost too much.

Don't worry about holding anyone back - you can only contribute to the team. My experience has only been with the CFTs that come with the purchase of a SANS course, so I may not have much experience in this area. A friend of mine has participated in a few CFT events and he has loved every single one of them. He mentioned participating in one event where he was teamed up with a guy from one of the "red" teams in the U.S army, so he learned a ton of forensics stuff that day.

The registration price is not that bad, I believe it's only $125 + whatever training you'd like to take, if any. I like the idea of a TE meet-up, so I will keep you posted as we get closer to the event. This should be a lot of fun...I have heard nothing but great things about DerbyCon and its user-friendliness.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.