Options

Gonna go for it, but first...Q&A

goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a few questions before I shell out some bicks on this test for next friday...(just a few things that i came across or concerned that i may/may not come accross).

Soooo to preface my list I would like to say I have read the 2005 objectives and thats the test I am studying to take....however...

1. Am I going to see any major unix q's?
2. How relavent is wireless technology in this one?
3. Should I not get carried away on all three boogie-zillion ports and just remember the everyday ones?

4. In my Exam Essentials is states Cat5 supports a max of 100Mbps. But what about giga? I think my module is outdated. icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    You should be fine. I don't think that you will see any unix because unix is an OS. Go over your study notes one last time...and Let us know how it goes
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    for the gigbit stuff just read the notes on the forum here and do some searching on google. you will do fine. On the beta test i took, there were about 5 mac questions and only a couple unix questions. im sure you wont see that many in the actual test. Not enough to make you not pass anyway.
  • Options
    Doomsday JDoomsday J Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dont count out unix. I had two unix questions on my net+ exam!

Good Luck!

J
    If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.
  • Options
    TravlerTravler Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had several wireless questions on my beta although I can't recall what they concerned now.

As for gigabit; somewhere in this network+ forum is a link to a great site that summerizes the new technologies. (I think it is a Cisco site.)
  • Options
    TravlerTravler Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here it is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4835/products_data_sheet09186a008007cd00.html

As for ports; go download Comptia's 2005 network+ objectives and they will tell you exactly which ones you need to know.
  • Options
    goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I took the test today (20 minutes ago) and passed with a 806. Well at least im pretty satisfied with it given the amount of time I put into it vs. two jobs and ccna classes. What threw me off was (like a goofus icon_eek.gif ) I studied for the 2k5, but accidently registered for the old one. Oh well

Thanks gals and guys for the great posts, replies, support and stuff. Now on to my MCP (MS has a good deal going on) while Im doing my CCNA. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    Good job. Same boat I'm in. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    First, congrats on the pass! Feels good huh?! Second, I will answer the questions posed to anyone that is studying at this time:
    3. Should I not get carried away on all three boogie-zillion ports and just remember the everyday ones?
    4. In my Exam Essentials is states Cat5 supports a max of 100Mbps. But what about giga? I think my module is outdated.
    1) There are no major Unix questions besides Unix using DNS.
    2) Wireless technology may be more emphesized this time around as wireless becomes more mainsteam. Focus on data rates of 802.11 B and G standards.
    3)Remember everyday ports with their applications, examples include HTTP, POP3, FTP, Telnet, HTTPS, etc.
    4) The official word is that Cat-5E should be used for Gig ethernet. However, there are many books that say that Gig ethernet can use regular Cat-5. I'd go with Cat-5E just to be safe.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    Why take the new exam, if going by your recent credentials, that you are already Net+ certified?

Good luck to you, but this is a one time pass exam/certification, I would however, be buying the upgraded book for future reference, so I suppose that benefits.
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    There is something called 'updating your profile' and I believe that's what he did after he passed the N+ exam.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    reloaded wrote:
    First, congrats on the pass! Feels good huh?! Second, I will answer the questions posed to anyone that is studying at this time:
    4. In my Exam Essentials is states Cat5 supports a max of 100Mbps. But what about giga? I think my module is outdated.
    1) There are no major Unix questions besides Unix using DNS.
    2) Wireless technology may be more emphesized this time around as wireless becomes more mainsteam. Focus on data rates of 802.11 B and G standards.
    3)Remember everyday ports with their applications, examples include HTTP, POP3, FTP, Telnet, HTTPS, etc.
    4) The official word is that Cat-5E should be used for Gig ethernet. However, there are many books that say that Gig ethernet can use regular Cat-5. I'd go with Cat-5E just to be safe.

Gigabit ethernet works wonderfully over Cat5, doesnt need Cat5E. I took my Network Plus in 1999, well before 802.11ab was out, so I couldnt tell you what Comptias standpoint is on it, but its one of those grey areas thats kinda up in there air as you hinted at. Depends on whose standard you are talking about, and who you are talking to.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p