Options

Having trouble finding Help Desk/Entry level jobs

Typhon66Typhon66 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been searching all kinds of job boards, i live in Southern California. I have used.

Monster
Indeed
Dice
Caljobs
Comptia Job board
Craigslist

I only seem to find jobs with huge experience/education requirements. I can't seem to find any help desk/entry level jobs. Where can i go to find these?

I also tried calling up local computer repair shops and they all seem to be mom and pop sort of places that have no interest in hiring people who aren't friends or family.

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Look at a company called Makeitwork there in SoCal. That is the company that I got my start with.

Employment
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best advice I can give you is to apply anyway. Many jobs that ask for 1 - 5 years of experience are actually entry-level, the employers are just engaging in some wishful thinking and filtering of candidates. If you read the job-description and feel like you're qualified for at least 80% of what you see, fire off a resume. The worst that can happen is they either say 'no' or don't respond at all.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe try colleges or recruiters? I got my first real IT job doing desktop support at a college, the vibe they gave me was that they wanted someone to learn on the job. A few people I know did random contracts for temp agencies until landing their first real entry-level IT jobs.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just apply for them anyways....wats the worst that can happen? they say no thanks, or dont even contact you at all...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Typhon66 wrote: »
    I have been searching all kinds of job boards, i live in Southern California. I have used.

Monster
    Indeed
    Dice
    Caljobs
    Comptia Job board
    Craigslist

I only seem to find jobs with huge experience/education requirements. I can't seem to find any help desk/entry level jobs. Where can i go to find these?

I also tried calling up local computer repair shops and they all seem to be mom and pop sort of places that have no interest in hiring people who aren't friends or family.

Here’s my advice:

Have 100% error free cover letter and resume

Try to keep your resume to one page

Have your school, or someone else proof read your resume and cover letter.

Apply based on your degree…Do you have a 2 year degree? If you do, then apply for jobs that require 0-2 years of experience. If you have 4
    year degree apply for jobs that require 0-4 years of experience.

Search jobs Indeed and simply hired

The best search terms I have found so far are Help desk and Technical support.

There is no standard entry level help desk position. For example, at company “A” the Help Desk Analyst could be a senior role at that company, while at company “B” it could be considered an entry level role.

Have you tried any of the temp agencies?
    Tek systems, Robert Half, Insight Global..?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Typhon66Typhon66 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here’s my advice:

Have 100% error free cover letter and resume

Try to keep your resume to one page

Have your school, or someone else proof read your resume and cover letter.

Apply based on your degree…Do you have a 2 year degree? If you do, then apply for jobs that require 0-2 years of experience. If you have 4
    year degree apply for jobs that require 0-4 years of experience.

Search jobs Indeed and simply hired

The best search terms I have found so far are Help desk and Technical support.

There is no standard entry level help desk position. For example, at company “A” the Help Desk Analyst could be a senior role at that company, while at company “B” it could be considered an entry level role.

Have you tried any of the temp agencies?
    Tek systems, Robert Half, Insight Global..?

I would try temp agencies if i knew of any around me. I'll check the ones that you listed out.

Also, thanks for the advice everyone, i really appreciate it. I have learned and been helped more in my short 15 posts by this community more than any other i am part of.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't just limit your search to help desk. Look for any IT jobs, you see a lot of one offs out there if you keep looking.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I started in IT about 5 months ago and I was using dice, indeed, simplyhired, and craigslist (I eventuallly found my job off of craigslist). I was applying for most help desk, technical support, junior admins jobs...I applied for jobs even if I didnt meet their requirements. The job I eventually received was one of two jobs I almost didn't apply for because I thought it was out of my league (they were asking for experience in linux and networking..I had neither). They called me the very next day for a technical interview, then an in-person interview, and then I was hired (all within 5 business days of applying).

Moral of the story...apply for a job even if you think you don't qualify..unless it's a senior job or something like that icon_wink.gif lol
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you are in so cal get in-touch with your local ISSA, ISACA, and OWASP chapter and go attend some meetings. The Los Angeles ISSA chapter meetings always have recruiters looking to fill positions. ISACA sometimes OWASP occasionally. The flip-side is that you will have an opportunity to network with a few different crowds there are the managers/directors/vp's/and c-levels that you can talk to and find out if they have any openings or even give you some guidance where you may need to improve your skills and the other key is the others that are seeking employment. There is strength in numbers and it is not uncommon to see the people looking for work talking and sharing resources.

Here are a couple quick links:

ISSA - Los Angeles:
    Information Systems Security Association – Los Angeles

ISACA - Los Angeles:
    ISACA Los Angeles

OWASP - Los Angeles:
    https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Los_Angeles

you may also want to check meetup for some of the local windows/linux/cisco/yadayadayada user meetups.