Options

PC nerd in training!

frubinfrubin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello fellow IT students, techinicains and engineers!

I'm not new to the IT industry, and have some basic knowledge of IT plus completing City & Guilds E-Qual Level 1 and OCR Clait for IT Users (New CLAIT) Level 1 certificates.

I normally come from a science/health medical background and worked in the NHS, however due unfortunate circurmstances, i lost my job in July 2011 and have been unemployed since. So i decided to change my direction and pursue futher in IT as i was also interested in IT system support and learn how to maintain and repair's PC.

I am now a student and started a City & Guilds Diploma for IT Practitioners LEVEL 2 in Janurary. I am hoping that i will able to pass this course go get the CompTIA A+ certification plus the IT Essentials 1 Certificate for Completion – CISCO ACADEMY and it will able to open up a new door to another oppotunity and career as a IT Techinican (entry level). From there i then hope to progess to do Advanced Diploma for IT Professionals Level 3 and gain a MCTS certification too.

I will let you know i get on with the course, and obviously as this part of IT will be new to me, i'll will most likely be asking for help and advice for my course.

Regards,

Yvonne

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    Thanks.

Managed to pick up the book needed for the course: CompTIA A+ certification exam guide seventh edition by Mike Meyers for a budget price of £18! =)
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome and enjoy the studies! Stay away from the brain ****!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck! What's your timeline for A+?

Have you also looked at CCENT? The A+/CCENT combo seems to build a well rounded entry level tech.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Good luck! What's your timeline for A+?

Have you also looked at CCENT? The A+/CCENT combo seems to build a well rounded entry level tech.

An oldie but a goodie!

A lot of people agree with this strategy including me.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TechExam forums!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    @ CodeBlox: Thanks. Braindumps?
    @ Daniel333: Thanks. Hopefully i will complete the A+ cert in about 7 months time. I need to get through the A+ first then decide what i want to do next from there.
    @ N2IT: Isn't Network+ or CNNA would be the next step to up from A+?
    @ Dakinggamer87: Thanks.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Good to have you with us! Just let us know if you have any questions icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    frubin wrote: »
    @ CodeBlox: Thanks. Braindumps?
    Strangely enough, I didn't know what braindumps were either--that is, before I came to this site icon_lol.gif. Braindumps are essentially answer keys to well known IT certification tests. People use them to ****.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    @ 4_lom: Thanks and will do!
    @ joshmadakor: Arh right!

I done the Cisco chapter 1 exam on Thurs and passed with 78.6% =)
  • Options
    Joseph HarlessJoseph Harless Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome, there is a lot of good info here.
  • Options
    @ Joseph Harless: Thanks and there is indeed =)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    frubin wrote: »
    Hello fellow IT students, techinicains and engineers!

I'm not new to the IT industry, and have some basic knowledge of IT plus completing City & Guilds E-Qual Level 1 and OCR Clait for IT Users (New CLAIT) Level 1 certificates.

I normally come from a science/health medical background and worked in the NHS, however due unfortunate circurmstances, i lost my job in July 2011 and have been unemployed since. So i decided to change my direction and pursue futher in IT as i was also interested in IT system support and learn how to maintain and repair's PC.

I am now a student and started a City & Guilds Diploma for IT Practitioners LEVEL 2 in Janurary. I am hoping that i will able to pass this course go get the CompTIA A+ certification plus the IT Essentials 1 Certificate for Completion – CISCO ACADEMY and it will able to open up a new door to another oppotunity and career as a IT Techinican (entry level). From there i then hope to progess to do Advanced Diploma for IT Professionals Level 3 and gain a MCTS certification too.

I will let you know i get on with the course, and obviously as this part of IT will be new to me, i'll will most likely be asking for help and advice for my course.

Regards,

Yvonne

You will be fine Yvonne. You have a good plan. Keep posting.
  • Options
    @ Turgon: Thanks and i hope so. It is a new learning curve for me.
  • Options
    Just done my Cisco Chapter 2 exam and i passed with 90.5%! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    @ veritas_libertas: Thanks =)
  • Options
    I'm so chuffed i managed to dismantal and put this PC back together again which i brought from a car boot fair sale in class today!

However i still need to check if it works and require a memory, HHD and video graphic card plus an operating system.
    (Manufacture Motherboard: http://www.via.com.tw/download/mainboards/3/5/p4xb-sa-ra_v1.0.pdf)

Just done Cisco Chapter 3 exam and passed with 92.1%! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Excellent. Assuming of course, that "chuffed" is a good thing :).

Actually, taking a PC apart and putting it back together is a great way to learn and build your confidence. Just reading about the concepts just isn't enough to make them stick. Good luck on getting the other pieces to make the PC work.
  • Options
    @ Darril: Yes it was, even my tutor was impressed :).

I also find when doing the class practicals, the 'hands-on' is a better way for me to learn and does build up confidence then me sitting down reading the class notes or the Cisco Academy notes / book which i sometimes find trouble absorbing. Through i am now breaking them down into a more consise bullet type revision notes which should be more easier to understand.

Thanks. If i haven't 'killed' the PC whilst of dismanteling and putting it together then that will be my next project!
  • Options
    Hi peeps.

Been quiet for a while as i been busy with my studying. I am wondering if there is good for cram notes for CompTIA A+ exams 220-701/702 on this forum or a website?
  • Options
    Chapter 5: 64.3%
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome frubin,

Lottsa helpful folks here, the A+ is an excellent starting point, most of us have it under our belts, it gives a very good grounding for anything relating to the hardware side of computing. Jean Andrews has an awsome book on the A+ cert, it is precise and well written, perhaps one of the best out there in my opinion, and she really knows how to spell it out in simple english.

I would recommend using it alongside the Mike Myers, two certs books and some online resources always makes for better outcomes learning the objectives. I would also print out the exam objectives found here: Exam Objectives and tick them off as you go. The Exam Cram book and online content will help solidify your knowledge and your understanding of the exam concepts.

Best of luck, and keep tinkering with any computer you can to actually see these concepts in action, practise is a powerful teacher.
    The Wings of Technology