Cisco icons for Visio

EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
I'll be doing a University project in the near future and I've decided that I'll be basing it on designing and implementing a network. I want to get the official Cisco icons into Visio 2007 but have no idea how, and although I've searched it I can't seem to figure it out. I've downloaded a whole bunch of files off Cisco but I'm unsure as to which ones I actually need.. they're JPEG's, but I think Visio 2007 wants some other kind of format? What on earth are "stencils" anyway?

Thank you

Comments

• cisco_macisco_ma Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I usually get all of my Cisco stencils from this part of Cisco's site: Product Support Visio Stencils - Cisco Systems They are in the actual stencil format. If you put these downloads into the "My Stencils" folder under My Documents for your user account, they will show up automatically in the available stencils in Visio.

Stencils are basically modified images of equipment that can be "snapped" into place within a Visio diagram. While you can use jpegs, etc in Visio, they don't usually fit in with industry standard U sizes and don't easily snap into place where you might want to them to appear. With stencils, they are specifically made to work with Visio to alleviate that problem.

Hope this helps!
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i just dollar signs
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Is there an alternative to Visio? All I want is the blue Router/Switch icons with cables etc.
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Eildor wrote: »
    Is there an alternative to Visio? All I want is the blue Router/Switch icons with cables etc.

I use DIA. Not as fancy as Visio, but it works.
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Thank you all for your help.