Certifications needed for entry level

JL15219JL15219 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone I am new to the forum as you can probably know since this is my 1st post.....I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided to go ahead and register and ask my 1st question. Well I guess I should introduce myself I am a 32 years old with a Bachelors of Business Administration in Finance but have had a terrible luck actually finding a job/career since I graduated 3 years ago icon_cry.gif It has been a very frustrating and depressing 3 years but I try to look at the bright side of it I have been able to take care of my daughter instead of having to put her in daycare. I have recently try to weigh my options and decided that I would like to get some certifications in IT. I actually like the IT field way more than business field why I got a business degree instead of an IT degree is a long story.

So what my question(s) what is the best combination of certifications to be able to get into an entry position since I have zero IT work experience? Was thinking something like A+ and MCTS, A+ and CCent, A+ and Net+ or any other suggestions that would be great....I guess I am trying to ask which combination would give the best opportunities to actually land a job.....I am really not exactly sure what field I would like to got into but was thinking maybe networking or maybe something like database administration..... Thanks Hope I its not a dumb question if so I apologize in advance........Thanks again

Oh forgot to ask is the A+ certification just for people who want to got into computer repair or is it just a good foundation certification to have?

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome aboard.

A+ is a great foundation certificate to have. Even if you never pursue the certification, it is a great overview of PCs, etc.

As others have mentioned, the A+ and a CCENT (Cisco) would be a good learning point for anyone just starting out. The Security+ is a good one as well to give you the basics on computer security in general. I think once you got your A+ you would have an idea on where you want to go (repair, networking, security, database, wireless, pen testing, etc). Find something you enjoy, and go for it :)

What I would do, is take a look at some of the ads on Monster, Dice, Craigs List, Indeed, etc and see what the employers in your target area are looking for. Of course they will want the sun, the moon, and the stars, but it will give you an idea on where to start.

Dont knock your business degree! That could come in handy down the road once you get your foot in the door!

If you have some free time away from your daughter, see if you can volunteer for experience. A non profit, church, etc may have some small computer work you could do for experience while you plug away at trying to find an IT position.

again, welcome to TE!
  • JL15219JL15219 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the warm welcome! This forum is really great! So A+ and CCENT would be my best bet? I was reading that some people say if you dont have any experience in networking you should do the Network+ before you do the CCENT any thoughts on that?

Thanks Again!
    No other suggestions?
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Welcome, JL15219.

I agree with Bokeh's suggestions. Start out with A+ cert then move onto Network+/CCNET. You can study the Network+ material in order to prepare for the CCNET cert, if you want to skip the Network+ cert. (i suggest Network+ then CCNET) Maybe also look into getting some entry level Microsoft certs. Like Bokeh said, check out the jobs boards and check what employers are looking for in entry level positions. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • silverspotsilverspot Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You might look at oracle analyst. Most of the analysts at my company came from the business/accounting side. Just a thought.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    The A+ is a great starter regardless of the particular avenue you decide to pursue. I think the items you are planning on studying looks solid and should give you a feel for which path you want to pursue. Good luck in your journey!
  • CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My career really went into overdrive once i got a CCNA. You can probably go from 0 to CCNA in under 6 months by studying 3-4 hours a day 3-4 times a week.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My career really went into overdrive once i got a CCNA. You can probably go from 0 to CCNA in under 6 months by studying 3-4 hours a day 3-4 times a week.

I've heard this, I've seen this, and I wonder why I never did this.

Short story

My second IT job was on a helpdesk tier 1. Only 3 people were ever promoted from this help desk while I was there. Two kids who parents worked in the company and the guy who went to the community college and got his CCNA.

Story two.

I was working on a 6-9 month contract for the USDA back in 09. They brought 4-5 people including myself (team lead) and a project manager. About 4 months into the engagement one of the techs who had their CCNA was plucked from the project group and went working for a networking group.

Obviously this is just two examples but I never seen anything like it. Getting the CCNA is like gold.

One other thing I'd like to add. While I was working for large biotech company last year I got into a discussion with the Unix infrastructure team lead about certifications and education and plethera of other topics. One thing I found interesting was he mentioned that he looks for techs with linux/unix cert and people with the CCNA. One of the SA's for the Wintel group chimed in and said the only certification he respects is the CCNA.

Don't shoot the messenger but the CCNA seems to be extremely respected.
    Welcome, JL15219.

I agree with Bokeh's suggestions. Start out with A+ cert then move onto Network+/CCNET. You can study the Network+ material in order to prepare for the CCNET cert, if you want to skip the Network+ cert. (i suggest Network+ then CCNET) Maybe also look into getting some entry level Microsoft certs. Like Bokeh said, check out the jobs boards and check what employers are looking for in entry level positions. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I was thinking of just studying the Network+ material then moving onto the CCENT considering how expensive it is but I was also thinking that actually getting the Network+ since it is more vendor neutral possibly allowing for more entry level networking positions is my logic correct? Any suggestions whether its worth getting or just studying for it? Kind of stuck on this one
    silverspot wrote: »
    You might look at oracle analyst. Most of the analysts at my company came from the business/accounting side. Just a thought.

Ahh thats another good suggestion might look into that as well..... Thanks!
    Ryan82 Thanks!
    Cheesybread and N2IT Thanks for confirming that CCNA is a great route but I really didnt see anyone mention the microsoft certs....they are more for working on servers right? Are there just better opportunities in networking than working with servers? Just asking I really still have no idea what route I want to go......
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    JL15219 wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I was thinking of just studying the Network+ material then moving onto the CCENT considering how expensive it is but I was also thinking that actually getting the Network+ since it is more vendor neutral possibly allowing for more entry level networking positions is my logic correct? Any suggestions whether its worth getting or just studying for it? Kind of stuck on this one

I would say getting the Network+ cert would help getting an entry level position. I suggest taking a look at the job boards and see what companies want in an entry level employee. If you see a lot of them asking for Network+ cert, i'd say go ahead and get the cert. If anyone disagrees with me feel free to say so.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
    I would say getting the Network+ cert would help getting an entry level position. I suggest taking a look at the job boards and see what companies want in an entry level employee. If you see a lot of them asking for Network+ cert, i'd say go ahead and get the cert. If anyone disagrees with me feel free to say so.

Thats the thing I have actually been trying to search the job boards and have not really found any IT jobs and the ones(like two or three) I do find either want actual experience or a degree in some type of IT both of which I dont have......So thats why I am kind of lost.....

I won't disagree, however I think reading the network + book would be good enough, but I wouldn't drop 250 or whatever CompTIA exams are. To be honest with you I would spend as little as I could on Comptia. They are amature certs and they cost A LOT of money. I think one Comptia cert the A+ is probably the way you want to go unless you are dead set on a certain technology and you don't have experience. EG Coming from a financial background and knowing you love databases. I wouldn't waste time with A+ or N+ then. That's just me though. You gotta be care in the cert rat race you can end up spending a lot of money and regretting it in the long run.

Here are my brainstormed ideas

If you have very little direction at this point I think A+ is a good one to get. It will help you get deskside support and helpdesk.

If you know what you like and have it narrowed down quiet a bit I would consider maybe doing the Comptia exam in that specific technology. EG If you love servers or the ideas of server then reading the server plus material would be a good ice breaker.

Once you get your intro level certification then come up with a strategic plan to start accumulating the certs required for your positions/career. Google search the jobs you want and look at what certifications they have. You may find out experience is really all they want for the particular field like software development.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Hello Everyone I am new to the forum as you can probably know since this is my 1st post.....I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided to go ahead and register and ask my 1st question. Well I guess I should introduce myself I am a 32 years old with a Bachelors of Business Administration in Finance but have had a terrible luck actually finding a job/career since I graduated 3 years ago icon_cry.gif It has been a very frustrating and depressing 3 years but I try to look at the bright side of it I have been able to take care of my daughter instead of having to put her in daycare. I have recently try to weigh my options and decided that I would like to get some certifications in IT. I actually like the IT field way more than business field why I got a business degree instead of an IT degree is a long story.

So what my question(s) what is the best combination of certifications to be able to get into an entry position since I have zero IT work experience? Was thinking something like A+ and MCTS, A+ and CCent, A+ and Net+ or any other suggestions that would be great....I guess I am trying to ask which combination would give the best opportunities to actually land a job.....I am really not exactly sure what field I would like to got into but was thinking maybe networking or maybe something like database administration..... Thanks Hope I its not a dumb question if so I apologize in advance........Thanks again

Oh forgot to ask is the A+ certification just for people who want to got into computer repair or is it just a good foundation certification to have?

Study for CCENT or entry level MCITP certs and Security + so you can get a job ASAP.

Goodluck.
    N2IT wrote: »
    I won't disagree, however I think reading the network + book would be good enough, but I wouldn't drop 250 or whatever CompTIA exams are. To be honest with you I would spend as little as I could on Comptia. They are amature certs and they cost A LOT of money. I think one Comptia cert the A+ is probably the way you want to go unless you are dead set on a certain technology and you don't have experience. EG Coming from a financial background and knowing you love databases. I wouldn't waste time with A+ or N+ then. That's just me though. You gotta be care in the cert rat race you can end up spending a lot of money and regretting it in the long run.

If you have very little direction at this point I think A+ is a good one to get. It will help you get deskside support and helpdesk.

If you know what you like and have it narrowed down quiet a bit I would consider maybe doing the Comptia exam in that specific technology. EG If you love servers or the ideas of server then reading the server plus material would be a good ice breaker.

Once you get your intro level certification then come up with a strategic plan to start accumulating the certs required for your positions/career. Google search the jobs you want and look at what certifications they have. You may find out experience is really all they want for the particular field like software development.

At first I was kind of thinking that the Comptia A+ was a waste of time and money but I noticed that a lot of people recommend to take the A+ just to build a solid foundation and also like you said if I am lost I should take the A+.......Yeah I really dont want to spend too much money on the Comptia certs they seem way more expensive than the others......But just one other question how does taking the A+ help with me not really knowing what to do?
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Study for CCENT or entry level MCITP certs and Security + so you can get a job ASAP.

Goodluck.

Yup trying it kind of seems like where I live there really are not many IT jobs and the ones that are here need a degree or exp......
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Start applying anyway. You would be surprised at the number of people on here who did not quite have what an employer wanted, but got their foot in the door and proved themselves.

I had a boss tell me once, when he goes to hire someone in IT, its not all certs and education. He wants to see if the person will fit in with the work culture and the business model. So I say apply, apply, apply.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Start applying anyway. You would be surprised at the number of people on here who did not quite have what an employer wanted, but got their foot in the door and proved themselves.

I had a boss tell me once, when he goes to hire someone in IT, its not all certs and education. He wants to see if the person will fit in with the work culture and the business model. So I say apply, apply, apply.

Yeah I usually apply for business related jobs even though I dont meet the requirements....I just think what the heck the worst they can do is just not call which most have not but most of the jobs I applied were in business I have not applied to any IT jobs at all actually should I apply for IT jobs even though I dont have any certs, education in IT, or Exp?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Im going to disagree a little and vouch for the comptia hippies here but I caveat the defence by admitting I have none of these certs. They never really took root in the UK so that's my excuse. It was MCP/MCSE/CCNA/CCNP for me back in the day, with the CNA in Netware 5 thrown in.. ;)

A+ and N+ I would do, not least as so many new people have them and if you dont the question could rightly be asked..why not? So get those.
    Then get the CCNA while you mull over your MS certs. The CCNA was easy when I did it 1999 and with Cisco being a relatively new thing and in hot demand people were impressed. Today the test is harder as is the preparation because things move on but it remains respected. Even if you dont plan on a career in networking it will teach you useful aspects and make a good impression on anyone hiring. Its also a doable test if you put the work in.

My 2 cents!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bokeh wrote: »

Correct! And then once you get taken on work on 'fitting in'. Certs and education help with the first impression but then its all about performance on the job and attitude with people.
  • mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a BS in economics degree from the UC system. Graduated eve of recession and had problems landing a job.

Long story short, now I work in the banking industry trying to specialize in financial networks. I have finished N+ and now going for my CCENT. I would prefer going the networking route instead of data analysis route because I see more opportunities here.

I think having the business degree helps -- just a matter of how you sell yourself.

"I not only know technology, I also understand the business behind the need for these technologies" -- saying this goes a long way in an interview.
    But just one other question how does taking the A+ help with me not really knowing what to do?

It doesn't but it gives you an industry standard certification that can be leveraged to obtain an entry level pc tech, helpdesk, deskside support job. Then you gain insight into the industry and figure out what you want to do. With a little luck there will be spill over into one of those roles and you will slowly begin to learn skills in higher level technologies.
    Turgon wrote: »
    Correct! And then once you get taken on work on 'fitting in'. Certs and education help with the first impression but then its all about performance on the job and attitude with people.

Wow never really thought about applying to a job without any experience, education, or certs but I guess its worth a shot......and thank you for you input on the Comptia certs.....the only thing that I kind of dont like about them is that they cost so much......and being unemployed right now it can get kind of expensive......but I guess I have to pay.....I read some people actually suggesting for others to take the Network+ before the CCENT/CCNA because gives you some networking foundation especially if you dont have any....I guess like myself....hmmmmm decisions decisions.
    mguy wrote: »
    I have a BS in economics degree from the UC system. Graduated eve of recession and had problems landing a job.

Long story short, now I work in the banking industry trying to specialize in financial networks. I have finished N+ and now going for my CCENT. I would prefer going the networking route instead of data analysis route because I see more opportunities here.

I think having the business degree helps -- just a matter of how you sell yourself.

"I not only know technology, I also understand the business behind the need for these technologies" -- saying this goes a long way in an interview.

Yeah I guess you have a really good point there! I can see the point of view from both sides of the coin.....Which in turn could make me an asset to a company......I guess my business degree isnt totally worthless.....I dont even know why I got the business degree(dont really like business). But since I do have it I should use it to my advantage.
    It doesn't but it gives you an industry standard certification that can be leveraged to obtain an entry level pc tech, helpdesk, deskside support job. Then you gain insight into the industry and figure out what you want to do. With a little luck there will be spill over into one of those roles and you will slowly begin to learn skills in higher level technologies.

Oh okay I gottcha.......Thanks
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Which one to do depends on your technical background and knowledge of operating systems and fault finding ability.

If you don't have a technical background:
    A+ and or network+ or linux+ or mcp/msce self study or community college

Keep those receipts. Don't know how it works in the US,but here you can claim some training/retraining expenses on tax.

Good luck!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I had the last 2 yrs back, I'd go A+, N+, S+ then start hitting the Microsoft certs. There are just more jobs that require MS certs... if you go the cisco route, starting pay will be low, Network Engineers take time to develop... Company's are more likely to allow u to muck around w/ their Windows Server as appose to their production Routers, Switches and Firewalls.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Thats only if you want to work on ms stuff and there are more ms "people" around.

I'm doing my cisco certs to have extra certs to go with my degrees and more interested in industrial networking. Big problem there is the lack of security especially with scada, modbus/field bus.

People hooking up older industrial networks into the office network without firewalling them
    or any security and a lot of plc/rtu's have no or minimal security
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    If I had the last 2 yrs back, I'd go A+, N+, S+ then start hitting the Microsoft certs. There are just more jobs that require MS certs... if you go the cisco route, starting pay will be low, Network Engineers take time to develop... Company's are more likely to allow u to muck around w/ their Windows Server as appose to their production Routers, Switches and Firewalls.

May I ask why you say if you had the last 2 years back you would go with the Comptia Certs?