Video conference software?

BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm doing an internship for a medium size business that has several locations around the state. They constantly drive to one location for meetings and its really killing time (some drive up to 4 hours one way). So they are interested in video conferencing. They would like to be able to have everyone participate at the same time, video and software, up to 20 locations. Have any of you used anything in particular that you liked? The cheaper the better.

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It might seem obvious, but we use Skype at work. The business version that allows for conferencing in multiple people simultaneously is cheap and good.

I also helped a client setup a Lifesize device early last year. I can't attest to the cost, but the quality was great. It was an actual appliance, but it works alongside software to do HD video teleconferencing with screen sharing.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you could take a look at Video Conferencing | Video Teleconferencing | Personal Telepresence Systems | Vidyo. i do not have first hand experience of the product but they claim their architecture delivers low latency HD-quality multipoint video conferencing over ordinary data networks to any end-point. they are also available on iOS and Android devices.
  • BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like Skype has a maximum of 10 connections. We could possibly make this work if we can't find another solution.

I'll look into Vidyo a little more later.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep the coming!
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    microsoft lync works great for that. You do need to add quite a few servers to get it all up and going. You can use Cisco Web ex and that works well. If you have the big bucks and a LOT of dedicated bandwidth you can get Telepresence which blows all others out the water.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you looking for a software only solution? Have you considered hardware ? There are low-budget hosted solutions out there that would only require you buying a cheap videophone. But I guess it all depends on what you really need.
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    microsoft lync works great for that. You do need to add quite a few servers to get it all up and going. You can use Cisco Web ex and that works well. If you have the big bucks and a LOT of dedicated bandwidth you can get Telepresence which blows all others out the water.

Another vote for MS Lync. If you already have MS Exchange, it's a great addition to it.
    If you don't want to install or support the infra, MS also offers Lync in the cloud.

There are other software solutions like HP Virtual Class Room and Citrix GoToMeeting.

In our company, we're using HP Virtual Class Room (in the cloud) and we're in the process to
    implement MS Lync unified communication in-house with telepresence.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    Another vote for MS Lync. If you already have MS Exchange, it's a great addition to it.
    If you don't want to install or support the infra, MS also offers Lync in the cloud.

There are other software solutions like HP Virtual Class Room and Citrix GoToMeeting.

In our company, we're using HP Virtual Class Room (in the cloud) and we're in the process to
    implement MS Lync unified communication in-house with telepresence.

Ditto with your last statement. We currently use Conference Bridge/WebEx, but we are planning on implementing MS Lync as well....seems pretty cool
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda