Options

GNS3 woes

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I thought i would have a look at this GNS3 because I was planning to brush up my CCNA skills before moving onto something else. Anyhow I downloaded it and installed a couple of router ios images for 7200 and 2691. All seemed OK but it sure is slow despite having 4Gb of ram and a pretty beefy processor and nothing much else running. I attempted to configure an ip address on fast1/0 port but then it suddenly vanished and this came up. It happened on both routers I was trying to setup. I tried also setting up the IP on port fa0/1 but it was in a down/down state.does anyone know what I did wrong?

*Jan 26 18:39:43.283: %OIR-3-SEATED: Insert/removal failed for slot 1, check card seating
*Jan 26 18:39:43.291: %OIR-6-REMCARD: Card removed from slot 1, interfaces disabled
*Jan 26 18:39:43.291: %ENTITY_ALARM-6-INFO: ASSERT CRITICAL PA Slot 1 Active Card Removed OIR Alarm
*Jan 26 18:39:43.415: %ALARM-3-CLEAR: CLEAR INFO Fa1/1 Physical Port Administrative State Down entity deleted
LONDON-R1#show ip
*Jan 26 18:39:44.375: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/0, changed state to down
*Jan 26 18:39:44.379: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/1, changed state to down
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    did you set the idlepc values for your routers?
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I thought i would have a look at this GNS3 because I was planning to brush up my CCNA skills before moving onto something else. Anyhow I downloaded it and installed a couple of router ios images for 7200 and 2691. All seemed OK but it sure is slow despite having 4Gb of ram and a pretty beefy processor and nothing much else running. I attempted to configure an ip address on fast1/0 port but then it suddenly vanished and this came up. It happened on both routers I was trying to setup. I tried also setting up the IP on port fa0/1 but it was in a down/down state.does anyone know what I did wrong?

*Jan 26 18:39:43.283: %OIR-3-SEATED: Insert/removal failed for slot 1, check card seating
    *Jan 26 18:39:43.291: %OIR-6-REMCARD: Card removed from slot 1, interfaces disabled
    *Jan 26 18:39:43.291: %ENTITY_ALARM-6-INFO: ASSERT CRITICAL PA Slot 1 Active Card Removed OIR Alarm
    *Jan 26 18:39:43.415: %ALARM-3-CLEAR: CLEAR INFO Fa1/1 Physical Port Administrative State Down entity deleted
    LONDON-R1#show ip
    *Jan 26 18:39:44.375: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/0, changed state to down
    *Jan 26 18:39:44.379: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/1, changed state to down

Sorry to hear that man, sounds like your computer has all the right specs. you may have a look at the GNS3 site and see if they have any troubleshooting tips. Also I think it may be a forum up there. Good luck. I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have Packet Tracer right now and studying for CCENT.
  • Options
    angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    also, the 2600 router ios must be uncompressed to work
    Images for 2600 routers must be uncompressed to work

Hardware emulated by GNS3 - GNS3
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    I had this error with one of my images, ended up just using a different ios.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    +1 on set idle pc for each router type properly
    CBT Nuggets Player

Don't just do the idlepc setting once per router.
    Do it a few times. On my work pc 1st time dropped it from 100% cpu to 50% cpu , 2nd time it went down to 5% per router(1751 and 2621xm)

Using an uncompressed ios speeds up the boot time for the routers a good bit as well.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks for all the help. I already was using an uncompressed image file but what I didn't do was check the idlepc value. I think I must have just set it once as alxx said. It seems to be working much better but man i gotta say I dont like this 7200 router.It could be the IOS image for it. Just seems a bit weird.funny results. I'll try the 2691 instead.Hopefully get used to it soon. thanks
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.