Options

MCITP - 640 or 642

slimshaney08slimshaney08 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

I do apologize in advance if there is a thread in place answering this question already,

My Work brought me Testout - Labsim MCITP Library collection and after much debate i decided to tackle the 642 first I am about just over half way through the material and understand about 80-90% of the material so far.

However I am now wondering if i should go through all the 640 material straight after finishing the 642 as I have seen quiet a few people state that the 642 is more simpler/straight forward after studying 640 material.

Was wondering if i could kindly have some input from members.

Thanks,

Shane

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 640 and 642 have complementary material for the exams. You might go through the DNS portions of the 640 to help with prepping for the 642. It certainly won't hurt to study for both at the same time.
    btw: Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    From what I've read, it depends on your background and what you're already familiar with. I've got the 640, 642, and 646 ahead of me too, and I'm still deciding what order to do them in.
  • Options
    smoovedogsmoovedog Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some good comments were posted yesterday in a thread similar to this started by me. i've decided to go for 642 first because networking is a much more comfortable area for me.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/73808-70-642-easier-than-70-640-a.html
  • Options
    Hi Guys, Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

Thank you for the kind welcome.

I have about 3 years professional IT experience, for the last 4 months I have been doing 2nd-3rd line support for my company on my own as my senior quit when i was 2 months into my new job.
    So i am raking in the experience at present and getting a lot of exposure to different technologies.

how long did it take you guys to prepare for the 642?
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Fyi, I failed using Testout Labsim/my personal lab alone. I had to use other resources I could find. The technet list in the 70-642 sticky was great, and was probably the only reason I passed the second time around.
  • Options
    was your experience with it that bad ? They usually say if you get 2 attempts over 90% your guaranteed to pass or your money back, so far so good for me but will defiantly be reading some other resources MSFT: NAP.

Will defiantly use the sticky for resources.
  • Options
    was your experience with it that bad ? They usually say if you get 2 attempts over 90% your guaranteed to pass or your money back, so far so good for me but will defiantly be reading some other resources MSFT: NAP.

Will defiantly use the sticky for resources.

It wasn't terrible. I had only a few months of server experience at the time. I went through labsim twice, but never took the final tests. My boss with much more expierence passed after studying for 2 weeks, where I studied off and on for 3 months. I probably took too long studying and forgot some details.

My first attempt was my first attempt at any certifcation. Jitters and driving almost 2 hours, then trying to find the test center could have contributed to it.
  • Options
    I am trying to cram in as much as i can do i don't forget the small details so trying to put in 4-5 hours a day. 2 Weeks of study wow rather impressive!

I am Glad you passed the exam second time round. What are you studying for now ?
  • Options
    Nothing currently. Will be looking into 70-640 and Sec+ eventually.
  • Options
    Sound's like a good plan.

I just wanna get MCITP:EA out the way then look at Virtualisation/CEH