Options

Tips please - Design and configure a MST setup with at least 6 switches

beginner_ccnabeginner_ccna Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi all,

currently studying for ccent, im working as 1st line and at work ive been assigned a task to design and configure a MST setup with at least 6 switches and loadbalance aswell, i been asked to do this by a 3rd level engineer to help me with my studies

as im studying ccent, i dont know much about spanning tree but have been reading up on this

can someone advise/point me in the right direction of how and what material i need to read in order to complete this task

your help would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Do you understand what MST is and how it compares to other methods like RSTP and PVST?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hi all,

currently studying for ccent, im working as 1st line and at work ive been assigned a task to design and configure a MST setup with at least 6 switches and loadbalance aswell, i been asked to do this by a 3rd level engineer to help me with my studies

as im studying ccent, i dont know much about spanning tree but have been reading up on this

can someone advise/point me in the right direction of how and what material i need to read in order to complete this task

your help would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Your 3rd level engineer should do this.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It's actually a pretty good exercise, though I wouldn't have handed this to anyone still studying for their CCNA. It'd be pretty useful education for someone studying for their CCNP
  • Options
    beginner_ccnabeginner_ccna Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well im currently learning all the differences between the protocols, i understand the basics on STP and now going through RSTP

i understand that its a difficult task but can anyone point me in the right direction please as i've got a 2 week deadline to get this done

im going to be using packet tracer for the configs
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Will packet tracer actually do MST?
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    this task might be a little bit over your head if you are currently studying for ccent ...

but if you want to try check:

Understanding Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (802.1s)  [Spanning Tree Protocol] - Cisco Systems

and the config example:
    Configuration example to migrate Spanning Tree from PVST+ to MST - Cisco Systems
    And then, I started a blog ...