Options

Should I take the new or old exams?

zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
I'm planning to take the Network+, but don't know whether I should take the 2005 exam or the 2001 exam? Any advice? I've heard that the 2005 exam doesn't cover some of legacy methods, standards, and hardwares, is this true? I've found some info on this, but need some validation on this article:
http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=8989/ur0412c/.
Any info from those that had passed the new methods? Thanks
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki

Comments

• Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    If you haven't already started studying or gotten far in studying. I'd personally go reccomend going with new exam objectives. No matter what, you're going to have to learn them eventually.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are they still offering the old test? I know the new one went into affect as of may 1st.
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    You can take the old test through the end of the month.
  • Options
    cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
    I recommend the new objectives. And as an Cert person you always have to go with the new technologies
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    The old one is easier, but like everyone is saying its out of date...

I took the old one 2 weeks ago, just got it out the way to get on with my MCSA :D

but im still looking into the new ojectives to keep up to date with the new technologies :D
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the new one. Everyone says the old one is a joke and if i passed the new one, there is no reason anyone else shouldnt be able to.
  • Options
    12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A few weeks ago, when I wrote the Net+ exam, I would have to said to go take the old version, but since today, noticing on the comptia site reports a passing score of 554 out of 85 questions. Its to your advantage to take the upgrade.
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    I think I will take the old exam instead. I'm actually studying from Meyer's Network+ 2005 book...which means I'm studying for the new exam. If the exam for the old is easier than the new, then it would be a great advantage for me because I'm anxious to take the MS Server 2003 (70-290) soon; therefore, forgoing the knowledge of the new materials. Actually not, I'm prepared to take the new exam too, just that I'm in a need for a job, and would like to pursue a MCP for my resume to get a foot in the door. I haven't been in the IT field for almost 4 years since the last time I was laid off from recession. I don't worry about my skills, just my credential for the employers to see.
    I'm taking the test Monday (5/23); I have been studying for 1 1/2 weeks now, and am confident to pass this. Wish me luck.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki