Options

VTY Lines

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi,

When doing a show run is there a particular reason VTY lines are split into 2 sections and not just show vty 0 15 under one line? I'm just having a go at setting telnet passwords etc.. and noticed thi.

line vty 0 4
password
login
line vty 5 15
password
login

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Its my understanding that the VTY or Virtual Terminal Lines are a type of TTY that are used to control inbound Telnet sessions. They are based off of software, so they are virtual, not a hardware thing and show up as line vty 0 4.

The newer types of IOS allow for more then just the 5 connections (line vty 5 15).

So that is why you see two entries for line vty.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    control wrote: »
    Hi,

When doing a show run is there a particular reason VTY lines are split into 2 sections and not just show vty 0 15 under one line? I'm just having a go at setting telnet passwords etc.. and noticed thi.

line vty 0 4
    password
    login
    line vty 5 15
    password
    login

Thanks

Usually they are split up to be setup as rotary authentication. One can be using clear text login, and the other group could be using AAA/Local database (username/password)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
  • Options
    SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    The reason they're split up in the configuration is for backward compatibility with older IOS versions.

In the olden days the IOS only supported 5 VTY lines (0 to 4) but in newer versions of IOS the number was increased to 16 (0 to 15) and eve more if you have some newer IOS code running.

In this way the "line vty 0 4" will be accepted by all IOS versions and the remaining lines line "vty 5 15" will be accepted by newer IOS versions.

HTH

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool: