Options

What to Buy Next? Building CCNA/CCNP Lab for Future

ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
Just wanted to run a few things by TE before I plan on making eBay purchases.

Right now here is my current setup and I want to acquire a few more routers just because I have some extra cash and because I want to get ready for Frame Relay within the CCNA.

(3) 2950 Switches
(1) 2610XM (62D/16F) w/ WIC T1 CSU/DSU
(1) 2610XM (128D/32F) w/ WIC T1 CSU/DSU

That being said, I am browsing eBay and found out that I am able to get (2) 2621XM (128D/32F) and 2 T1 CSU/DSU cards in each router for approx. $220 shipped. Sounds like a good deal right?

Will I be able to use the T1 CSU/DSU cards for Frame Relay or will I need an NM 4A/S or WIC 2T cards to do Frame Relay. I'm still confused on exactly what hardware wise I will need.

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    bit pricey but not to bad.

May be a couple of 1721 or 1751's with wic1t or wic2t and one 2600xm with a nm4a/s ?

I don't know if you can use T1 CSU/DSU for frame relay.

For my frame relay switches I'm using a 2611xm with nm8a/s and wic 2t and a 3640 with nm8a/s(and nm2fe2w)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxx wrote: »
    bit pricey but not to bad.

May be a couple of 1721 or 1751's with wic1t or wic2t and one 2600xm with a nm4a/s ?

I don't know if you can use T1 CSU/DSU for frame relay.

For my frame relay switches I'm using a 2611xm with nm8a/s and wic 2t and a 3640 with nm8a/s(and nm2fe2w)

So basically look for routers that have WIC1Ts or WIC2Ts and then pick out a router with NM 4 or 8 A/S to be the FR router?
  • Options

So the T1 CSU/DSU card is used to just connect one router to another correct? I'm having trouble trying to differentiate that from a Frame Relay setup. Except Frame Relay goes over much longer distances....I guess a T1 card would be used to connect R1 to R2 on a campus LAN?
  • Options
    TI is a layer 1 connection and the card provides an interface to use that and its not just limited to frame relay also hdlc, ppp

Understanding the 1-Port T1 CSU/DSU WAN Interface Card (WIC-1DSU-T1) - Cisco Systems
    Configuring Cisco Integrated Data Service Unit/Channel Service Unit (DSU/CSU) Modules and WAN Interface Cards - Cisco Systems

There is a lot more to T1 than just frame relay
    Sorry got to run, meeting in 5 in another building
  • Options
    frame relay or ppp or hdlc or x25 or ?(know I missed a few) are just protocols/encapsulation on the line/connectionWhat Is T1?
    where as T1 or E1 or ethernet or serial are the type of connection

From osi model T1 is layer 1, frame relay/ppp/hdlc are layer 2
  • Options
    Hm I just don't understand why I couldn't stick 4 T1 CSU/DSU into one router and then place an additional T1 CSU/DSU in each other router that I have. Then connect them all using Frame Relay like that..instead of using 2T or 1T cards and an NM 8 A/S.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hm I just don't understand why I couldn't stick 4 T1 CSU/DSU into one router and then place an additional T1 CSU/DSU in each other router that I have. Then connect them all using Frame Relay like that..instead of using 2T or 1T cards and an NM 8 A/S.
    I'm curious about this too. This thread has some good information for me, I'm preparing to embark on a Cisco journey soon.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171

You could do that. You don't need NM8AS for frame-relay.
  • Options

You should be able to, they are just another type of wan connection.

I haven't done that myself as t1 cards here are a lot more expensive( last year or so at least) than wics/ nm4as/nm8as.

You can also create a compound frame relay cloud across multiple routers with at least a couple of wics/ T1's in each.Think it was Alan who had a good thread on this

Frame relay can also be used for a point to point link/ back to back connection

A good thread on frame relay
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/52527-understand-frame-relay-5-minutes.html
  • Options
    Just got a few things on the old bay.

2511RJ coming that I got for $149.61 shipped. Thanks GoSnipe!

2610XM (61D/32F) w/ NM 4 A/S, WIC T1DSU/CSU, WIC 1B for $73.64 shipped.

Also have my eyes on a 3640 and 3725. Possibly 3x WIC 2T cards as well.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder how many people have outbid me on eBay that are members on here *evil eye.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Hmm were you bidding on a 2511AS RJ or any 2600XM routers? lol
  • Options
    Brought a couple of nm8a/s from Sir_Samon, he's got one left and a nm4a/s on ebay Australia.

Anyone want to buy a few 1721's or 2600's or 2950's? pm me (Australia only)
  • Options
    Brought a couple of nm8a/s from Sir_Samon, he's got one left and a nm4a/s on ebay Australia.

Anyone want to buy a few 1721's or 2600's or 2950's? pm me (Australia only)

Ah you know I would consider it but you're a bit far....:D