Options

[STP] Other than RP, DP and Blocking port on Switch

missingpluginmissingplugin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Its a very basic question i guess, A switch has Root Port, Designated Port, Or Blocking Port, but all these three kind applies when a Switch is Connected to another Switch, isn't it?

How about those ports which connects directly to host, Do those ports works Normal i.e not any one of the three modes, is that so?

Comments

• Options
    Chard26Chard26 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In STP, the cables that are connected to each switch will be set up as trunk ports which STP needs to function. All the other ports will be access ports or normal ports functioning as they would without STP enabled (if that makes sense )

Cheers
    Chard
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    STP still runs on access ports though - ports connected to end hosts will be in a forwarding state (they'll be designated ports)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As stated above, they will be designated ports on access ports. This is because they forward the least-cost BPDU onto that segment ( the host doesn't forward any ). Or so the legend goes.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...but all these three kind applies when a Switch is Connected to another Switch, isn't it?

Yes, it applies when connecting to another switch as well. That port could be forwarding or blocking, and could be pointing to or away from the root (root port).
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    bon_chanbon_chan Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    (they'll be designated ports)
    I am getting confused.I thought that ports connected to end hosts were called non-designated ports
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    No, a non-designated port is a port in a blocking state. Ports connected to hosts are designated ports.

Watch this flash animation, maybe it will help clear some things up. http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/10556/spanning_tree1.swf
  • Options
    ArpawockyArpawocky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    No, a non-designated port is a port in a blocking state. Ports connected to hosts are designated ports.

Watch this flash animation, maybe it will help clear some things up. http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/10556/spanning_tree1.swf
    Holy moly. Thanks for posting this. A couple light bulbs just went off in my head.
  • Options
    bon_chanbon_chan Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you this is very clear now.
  • Options
    SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    How about those ports which connects directly to host, Do those ports works Normal i.e not any one of the three modes, is that so?

Just to echo what everyone else has already said...

Designated ports are put into a forwarding state after going through the listening > learning states (if you want to bypass this turn on portfast)
    Non-designated ports are blocking and don't forward frames, however, they do listen-for and receive BPDU's

HTH

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool: