Options

Lied to about job position and has this happened to you before ?

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
72 hours ago I was contacted by a recruiter about a help desk position. I advised him to send me an E-mail with the job description and time and place for the interview. I also advised him I was looking for a Help Desk position not a Sales position. The recruiter advised me he understood and E-mailed me the time and location but not he job description. I e-mailed him again this morning to confirm the time and for a description of the open job position. As the time for the interview came near I still have not heard from the recruiter so I went to the location and I mett with a women named
( Brenda) When I sat down in her office and saw the "SALES" awards on the wall I suspected that this was not a help desk job. As we went thru her power point presentation about the position I soon realized this was a Financial Sales Analyst job and not a Technical help desk position they were offering. I stopped the interview and thanked Brenda for her time and I left the interview. I could not believe this was done to me.
These people wasted my time.

Has this happened to any of you ? Where you mislead about a job's duties and during the interview process you discovered this was a sales job ?

Please share you thoughts. This has never happened to me before and I am a-little frustrated at the moment.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    72 hours ago I was contacted by a recruiter about a help desk position. I advised him to send me an E-mail with the job description and time and place for the interview. I also advised him I was looking for a Help Desk position not a Sales position. The recruiter advised me he understood and E-mailed me the time and location but not he job description. I e-mailed him again this morning to confirm the time and for a description of the open job position. As the time for the interview came near I still have not heard from the recruiter so I went to the location and I mett with a women named
    ( Brenda) When I sat down in her office and saw the "SALES" awards on the wall I suspected that this was not a help desk job. As we went thru her power point presentation about the position I soon realized this was a Financial Sales Analyst job and not a Technical help desk position they were offering. I stopped the interview and thanked Brenda for her time and I left the interview. I could not believe this was done to me.
    These people wasted my time.

Has this happened to any of you ? Where you mislead about a job's duties and during the interview process you discovered this was a sales job ?

Please share you thoughts. This has never happened to me before and I am a-little frustrated at the moment.

Happened to a few us. Do a bit more homework before attending interview. Some recruiters will send anyone just to tick a box. No job description no show for interview is my rule and you at least want to discuss on the telephone with the client before attending in person. Saves everyone's time that way.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    Happened to a few us. Do a bit more homework before attending interview. Some recruiters will send anyone just to tick a box. No job description no show for interview is my rule and you at least want to discuss on the telephone with the client before attending in person. Saves everyone's time that way.

I've never dealt with recruiters but this makes perfect sense. I hate to waste mine and the other person's time. Unless I am positive about what the position entails, I'm not moving.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I know a guy who was told he was "hired" as a network admin after doing two interviews with a temp agency. When he showed up in a suit, he was handed a hair net and told to get started baking. Turns it to be some kind of food factory and that was the job.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow these are aweful stories. I have heard of some bad ones but these are pure crap.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know a guy who was told he was "hired" as a network admin after doing two interviews with a temp agency. When he showed up in a suit, he was handed a hair net and told to get started baking. Turns it to be some kind of food factory and that was the job.
    LMFAO! Can one really get away with that? I mean, the interviews had to have been technical and related to networks right??
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    ah but what sort of network?
    food supply network ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This isn't the direction I thought this thread would be going based on the title and my own experience. This is crazy. I would definitely be in complete shock if I walked in after accepting a job and they told me to start baking. At least the OP realized during the interview.

My only experience being misled about a job was the level of responsibility I would have. I was told it was a senior level network/systems admin job and that I would be running the show in those regards. Well, it turned out that the CTO/Data Center Manager to whom I reported was very hands-on and an extreme micro-manager. He wanted a senior level person to work with him, but he wanted that senior level person to fill a junior level role beside him. That is something that isn't immediately evident, even after a few months, because maybe they are just trying to let you become acclimated to the environment and organization. He had worked there for two years and I was third person to fill that job in that time frame. It was a long two years for me and we didn't exactly end on good terms, though I do keep in touch. I like the guy as a person, I just cannot work with him... (how many folks have I said that about? I think just two or three... which doesn't seem to bad... just had to do some introspection and make sure that it isn't me that is the problem ;) ).

Well, hopefully these crazy stories don't become more common.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I imagine the interview questions went something like...
    How do you configure spanning tree between two loaves of bread?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□

Is that even legal? Surely you can sue a company for misleading information.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    korbaskorbas Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□

Sounds like there was a mix-up somewhere along the way and mistakes were made. I can't imagine anyone thinking they could intentionally pull off that kind of swap.

Anyway, what did he do? Start baking or leave? I think I'd have given it a whirl just for fun... icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got scammed like this once, just once.

I applied for training management job. After I arrived, it was a brainwash seminar on selling life insurance.

I expressed my thoughts to the company secretary on my out the door after listening for 10 minutes and called the individual who set this up. Let them know in my own special way how POed I was.

Live and learn.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think many companies try to "big" up there offering, so its always good to ask probing questions about what you will really be doing, on the phone first if possible.

And make sure you are interviewed by the person you will be working for, a friend of mine was interviewed by an Agency contractor who did not even work at the company he was applying to, They simply had a check list of questions to ask!

There's no reason not to gill the person interviewing you about the position, as much detail as you want, if they say you are going to be managing there firewall infrastructure, then ask them about it in depth, what they would expect you to do and level of responsibility you will have. You will soon get an idea of if they are using the word "manage" jsut as bit to pull you in before sitting you on a help desk, or actuly mean it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I imagine the interview questions went something like...
    How do you configure spanning tree between two loaves of bread?

Thats awesome! lol
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    He tried to explain that he was there for a different job, but on the hairnet went. He tried to again explain there was a mistake, after that failed to help, he didn't return from lunch. Calling the temp agency did no good and they reposted the same job description.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He tried to explain that he was there for a different job, but on the hairnet went. He tried to again explain there was a mistake, after that failed to help, he didn't return from lunch. Calling the temp agency did no good and they reposted the same job description.
    What was the interview like??
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I only had one misleading interview like that was similar. When I graduated college I received a call from a company I had recently applied online. Well it turned out that the companies only purpose was to place individuals who were apart of there 'network' in front of companies that had open position. What they fail to put in the job posting was that there was a 'FEE' to be apart of there special network. I know a hustle/scam when I hear one...I respectable walked out of the interview. Apparently they were posting jobs for potential companies and only thing I had to do was pay to be part of the 'network'. No thank you........
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My last job I was mislead. I should have asked more questions but when the job fell apart I don't think I would honestly know how to ask the questions.

When I was called by my old company about a position I was told it was a five year contract but was five one year extensions. I was fine with that.

After I started I noticed the lack of work I was given. Then more people were hired and people were asking for stuff to do. Come to find out they hired more than they needed because they wanted to have extra security personnel on hand for the open bids that were coming up. So they were burning the candle at both ends in the hopes of securing more contract work by having cleared personnel ready to go. Three months after I started they let half of us go. I get an email from my old manager and she was in a new position. Come to find out half of the people not let go all got new jobs with other companies and none of them put in their two week notice they just bailed. Eventually everybody left.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got mislead today about a possible position. The recruiter told me this was a Sys Admin job. After looking at the job description, I made a decision it wasn't for me, and canceled my upcoming phone interview.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    Got mislead today about a possible position. The recruiter told me this was a Sys Admin job. After looking at the job description, I made a decision it wasn't for me, and canceled my upcoming phone interview.

A lot of it about Im afraid. Good to get the job description to see for yourself if people are trying to waste your time.
  • Options
    Do the recruiters get payed for customer contacts with possible candidates?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Do the recruiters get payed for customer contacts with possible candidates?

The recruiters just get paid. They need to look busy. When the market is tough like it is now, they still have targets to hit. Harvesting new CVs, getting a meeting with companies to see what needs they may have all help them survive.

Recruiting is now the cliche that 'your first badly paid job in advertising' used to be. It's the call centre or recruiting for a lot of people these days, or retail. Lots of pressure to succeed in recuiting and if you dont, you are out. I can understand the pressure they are under for all the crap we have to put up with sometimes. There are some decent recruiters out there. Find them. I do.
  • Options
    I now have to eat my words. The hiring manager called me anyway. I had went to bed due to getting sick. I decided to do the phone interview anyway, and he was able to relate to me where my skills would fit, and that the job desciption is old and needs to be re-written. The interview went well ( I believe), and he wants to schedule a time for me to come in for an in-person interview. I'm actually excited!
  • Options
    I now have to eat my words. The hiring manager called me anyway. I had went to bed due to getting sick. I decided to do the phone interview anyway, and he was able to relate to me where my skills would fit, and that the job desciption is old and needs to be re-written. The interview went well ( I believe), and he wants to schedule a time for me to come in for an in-person interview. I'm actually excited!

Something positive then. Attend and see how it goes. Sorry to hear you are feeling unwell.