Why is equipment that cheap on ebay?

martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
Got me a few 3550 switches from ebay, bout 60 - 80 €. I was just curious and did some research via google and found some dealers who had the 3550 in stock for 3000+ € (new).

Ok i know these things from ebay are 8-10 years old and you wont get any support. But even the refurbished ones i found were more then a 1000 euros ....

Am i missing something here or is it just that cheap to get equipment on ebay (compared to "real" distributors)?
And then, I started a blog ...

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Are you sure they were not being sold as "for parts" or "as-is not working". I find great deals and see that which ruins my day.

I've never purchased a 3550, so I couldn't tell you what to expect. But, I am an avid ebayer.
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    first one was in the mail today... just fired it up:
    Cisco IOS Software, C3550 Software (C3550-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(44)SE6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 09-Mar-09 20:26 by gereddy
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00EA3DB8

it even had a Gbit fiber module sitting in it ... waiting for the other ones now for setting uo my ccnp switch lab
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    I was just watching some that sold for $75-$90 shipped. They were listed as "For Parts" or "As-Is" as the seller had no way of testing them. Only said that they've powered up successfully but had no way to read the configuration.

I was tempted to hop on one for around $80 shipped but don't feel the need to purchase one unless I see a really good deal (<$60) or start on my CCNP. Currently I'm still working towards my CCNA so I have a bit of time to shop around.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Dealers will also sometimes provide a warranty type of support through them for replacements. If you buy from someone who is just an individual, you're not going to know if you're truly getting a good deal until you get the product and can test it. At least with a dealer you have an out should the thing show up DOA. Typically buyers do to, but you still have to be careful. I always buy from a dealer even if it means paying a little more to have some piece of mind that it'll show up working.
    the ones i bought were described as "used, tested and fully operational - with minor traces of use" so if they wouldn't work i would send them back.

would you guys recommend to install used equipment such as these 3550 switches into small businesses? i am asking because a friend of mine is daisy chaining shitty hubs in his company and asked me for a better solution. i cant see a reason why not doing it, but it never hurts to ask ;)
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Depends on how that company looks at the grey market. If it was me, I'd be putting supported software and hardware into any business. Small or otherwise. There might be other legal issues, but don't quote me.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It depends on who's buying it. When I work with High level engineers we shop on ebay all the time for access switches and edge routers that aren't doing any major functions. When all thats happening is plugging in PC's or a T1 you can save plenty of money and still have ready spares when needed. Of course if you are going to be doing a lot of routing/switching or security I would suggest buying from a resaler as you can get TAC support. Hell even when Im' working with the big boys (verizon,XO, L3) I have had 2651XM or lower routers be used and I know damn well they buy them in bulk for customer managed routers and they dont buy them from a resaler.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    thank you for your answer shodown.

i never was part of buying cisco gear yet, just worked with stuff that was already there. the small business i am talking about has about 15-20 clients in the network, i would get 2 of these 3550, put the same config on it, deploy one there and put one in the the closet in case the other one fails so they can replace it easily.

btw, seems some ISPs are throwing out the old 48 port 3550s, because they are all over ebay atm and mine has a stciker from a well known cable company on it...
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Its nice.

managed to get a a 3745 for $43 with shipping (128MB D, 32MB F)
    a nmhdv with 4 pvdms for $42 ,another with 2 pvdms for $22 , a 877w (128, 22) for $46
    $13 for 6 db60 serial cables,

Living in a big city , have to love people in harder to get to suburbs that sell pickup only!
    Even seen a motorbike with a 3745, tied on the pillion seaticon_lol.gif

must show more restraint and sell more of the older ones I have icon_wink.gif
    eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Last night missed a 3550 24 poe which went for $110.
    Unfortunately everyone is back from holidays this week so prices(bidding) are going back up
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    thank you for your answer shodown.

i never was part of buying cisco gear yet, just worked with stuff that was already there. the small business i am talking about has about 15-20 clients in the network, i would get 2 of these 3550, put the same config on it, deploy one there and put one in the the closet in case the other one fails so they can replace it easily.

btw, seems some ISPs are throwing out the old 48 port 3550s, because they are all over ebay atm and mine has a stciker from a well known cable company on it...

3550's are common Metro E hand off switches. They are being replaced at the moment by 3560-3750 swiches, but usually when I"m doing a deployment thats what the hand off switch is for a layer 2 circuit. Those are pretty rock solid.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related