Options

Security Plus 301 - Passed it today!

gibby1gibby1 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
I used the Comptia Security Plus Get Certified Get Ahead SYO-301 Guide by Darrell Gibson. I started studying the book a couple of weeks ago, and went through the entire book...cover to cover. I hit the wall and just could not study anymore last night...so, I took the exam.

I saw a few items on the test that were not in the book, and luckly I was prepared...

Understand and recognize Fraggle - similar to smurf, however uses UDP packets that direct at port 7 (echo) and port 19 (chargen)...I'm not saying this was on the test...just be prepared.

know your ports!

Good luck...301 was a good adventure!

Gibby.

Comments

• Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    How hard would you say the exam was? I am getting ready to take it within the next few months. I had a class on it, but never got around to actually taking the cert exam.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    gibby1 wrote: »
    I used the Comptia Security Plus Get Certified Get Ahead SYO-301 Guide by Darrell Gibson. I started studying the book a couple of weeks ago, and went through the entire book...cover to cover. I hit the wall and just could not study anymore last night...so, I took the exam.

I saw a few items on the test that were not in the book, and luckly I was prepared...

Understand and recognize Fraggle - similar to smurf, however uses UDP packets that direct at port 7 (echo) and port 19 (chargen)...I'm not saying this was on the test...just be prepared.

know your ports!

Good luck...301 was a good adventure!

Gibby.

Congratulations. Glad to hear the book helped.

I'm in the middle of writing some content for a CISSP project, was looking at smurf and fraggle and based on your post, I ended up posting a (DoS, Smurf, and Fraggle Attacks).

I sometimes wonder what goes through the mind of test writers when they add some of these old attacks. SYN flood is certainly a realisitc attack today, but due to common protections that are in place, it is highly unlikely that a live network will see a smurf or fraggle attack today.
    these.

Thanks again for posting (I see this is your first post).
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats and welcome to TE.
  • Options
    Joseph HarlessJoseph Harless Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Go get the Darrel Gibson book...read it, spend some extra time in chapter 10...and know your ports. It should not take more than two weeks...get prepared and go pass the exam...it's not that hard if you read the book.

things to consider...one for the road...

Fraggle port 7 echo and port 19 chargen

Good luck!

Gibby
  • Options
    Yes, I'm new to this posting and the Security + exam is my first cert since JNCIA, and CCNA a couple of years ago...going after the CCISP next, can anyone provide some recommendations...material references?

thanks,

Gibby
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    gibby1 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm new to this posting and the Security + exam is my first cert since JNCIA, and CCNA a couple of years ago...going after the CCISP next, can anyone provide some recommendations...material references?

thanks,

Gibby

If you're talking about the (ISC)2 CISSP exam, check out the forums on this site ((ISC)² SSCP and CISSP Forums). Many people have successfully taken and passed the cert and have shared their experiences there.

(I know a CCISP cert is out there but there seems to very little information on it.)

Good luck.
  • Options
    I will be working on the CISSP next...ready to get the next DG book and bust it!

Thanks,

Gibby1
  • Options
    Yes, I'm new to the site...I have been motivated by everyone's posting. I find this forum to be very helpful...thanks for everyone's input!

Good luck with all your studying and prep work.

thanks,

Gibby1
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and welcome to the security world.