Fiction book(s) about computers.

Fernling306Fernling306 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Kind of an odd request. I am looking for some good fiction books that are based around computers. More specifically around computer networking, if they even exist. Has to be fiction and good! If you know of anything please don't hesitate to post.
Thank you very much.

Comments

• longhorn79longhorn79 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2012/2013 Certification Goals:
    ICND1: Work in progress
    ICND2: depends on ICND1
    70-640 AD: if I have time
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    The Cuckoo's Egg (posted above) isn't fiction since the events described in the book really happened -- but reads like it is (very well written). Highly recommended. Fatal System Error was a bit of a snooze in my opinion but you may like it.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Amazon.com: The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (9780312863555): Robert A. Heinlein: Books <----This should be required reading for everyone in the world
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Met44 wrote: »
    The Cuckoo's Egg (posted above) isn't fiction since the events described in the book really happened -- but reads like it is (very well written)

Yes that's true & why it ended up on my list. It certainly doesn't read like a true event. A should read for any IT person in my view :D
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Excellent thread! I will be updating my amazon wish list today.

Here's a must read for every IT person, although it should go without saying:
    Neuromancer

Also, anything by Phillip K Dick and Robert Heinlein. Dick's a short read and not my favorite writing style, but his ideas are fascinating. Heinlein is in my top 5 of all authors. Another decent tech heavy read is Michael Crichton. My favorite of his would be Prey.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You need to go read Daemon by Daniel Suarez. The scary part is that I could actually see most of what happens in that book happening in real life.

The sequel jumps the shark just a tad, but Daemon is damn good reading.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Barry Eisler's Rain series is great if you enjoy thriller/fiction. Lots of tech stuff in these books.
    "Rain Fall"
    "Hard Rain"
    "Rain Storm"
    "Killing Rain"

Although the titles for these books in other countries have better titles then the titles he was forced to use in the US. Much classier sounding titles, but the books are great regardless of the title!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Virus by Graham Watkins (Older but enjoyable)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Fernling306Fernling306 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow! Thank you guys very much, much more than I expected. Will start looking through these. :)