Options

New Member dropping in

sungod88sungod88 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm a new guy here my name is Chris. I'm currently in philly but plan to move to Central NJ soon. Right now I am in school (typing this is programming class lol) at Community College of Philadelphia getting my CIS Associates degree. I'm about 2 classes away besides the 2 I have now. I'm 23 and have always been into computers and really am looking to get into a help desk spot soon. I can do the work and Will have my A+ by the summer and Hopfully my NET+ by the End of the summer. Any advice you guys could give would be super. My main question is...Dhould I really go back and get my B.S. or should I save the Time and Money and get my certs?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Honestly, you should do both. Start working on those CompTIA tests now as you finish up your A.S. degree. Make the transfer to your four-year school of choice, but try to keep up with some extra-curricular cert-studies on the side if you can; perhaps do some side-work too, that definitely couldn't hurt your financial situation as you're paying for school. If you haven't really thought about where you want to transfer, perhaps you should have a look at WGU, since that school has you earn a long list of certs as well as your Bachelor's degree.

Regardless of where you end up, don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that earning a degree is simply a waste of money or time. Certs are good, experience is good, but when combined with a degree, they're golden.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sungod88sungod88 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for the reply. Which program would you consider Security or Network Admin. I was considering temple but I think WGU might be better since It's online. I want to do Security but in my job searches I havent seen many.