Options

New User.

victorastaciovictorastacio Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, my name is Victor Astacio. I was searching online for CCNP topics and I was re-directed here for information, but please, let me tell you a little bit about myself.

I am 20 years old, and I am a Senior Network Administrator on Camp Stone. Herat, Afghanistan maintaining 3 separate military-enterprise secret classified networks for the U.S Government and Armed Forces.

I am always very goal oriented, and put my priorities as first, what were my priorities ?, getting a job because I was broke and unemployed. I took my CCNA on November 9Th 2011, instead of doing like every 19yo( I was 19 back then) and go out partying and drinking, I decided to go update my resume and apply for jobs. That decision made my life, because the job that initially brought me out here to Afghanistan, making a 6-figure salary and a security clearance, was going to close 1 day later, my decision making literally saved me from working at some burger joint, or even worse, unemployed.

I was the last one to interview for the Network Administrator position, I passed it and I deployed to Afghanistan as a civilian contractor on January 28th 2011,(it's been a year already !!), I came out here, first job, inexperienced, and I was put to the ultimate test, I had to migrate 3 physical classified networks from tactical to strategic, and become a Senior/Leader on a group of 4 to a successful migration.

Everything went as expected, I exceed expectations, and I am proud that no one has ever doubted my technical skills, but what is only good, can get better, and that is why I want to move up in the certification ladder.

Throughout the year, I did a board to become an official Senior Network Administrator, I interviewed against other candidates, and I succeeded.

Here I am now, writing an opening message in Techeexams.net, hoping that everyone can help me become even better in my field. I am sure I will find everything I need in this forum.

Thanks, and I hope I am welcomed to the family.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    Thank you :D, nice to meet you
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Welcome bro...where did you find the job way out there ?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    When I came home after taking my CCNA, I went straight to careerbuilder, the job was posted there. Something about "military, middle east" I didn't care, I just applied to it, and here I am a year later !!
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    When I came home after taking my CCNA, I went straight to careerbuilder, the job was posted there. Something about "military, middle east" I didn't care, I just applied to it, and here I am a year later !!

Sounds pretty wild man and a bit appealing...how is life over there outside of work?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Not much to do out here, you are pretty much stuck in a base, once you get off work, you go back to your area. I gotta say, a person can really get home sick been out here, but thankfully I haven't gotten that problem.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Welcome to TE!
  • Options
    Thanks Bryant !!
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's pretty badass, getting a job like that. And Welcome to TE! What other qualifications did you have at the time? Did you NAIL the interview hard? icon_lol.gif

Edit: I want to get my CCNA/CCNP after I finish my degree, so this is very interesting!
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    That's pretty badass, getting a job like that. And Welcome to TE! What other qualifications did you have at the time? Did you NAIL the interview hard? icon_lol.gif

Edit: I want to get my CCNA/CCNP after I finish my degree, so this is very interesting!

At the time when I did the interview, I only had 1, and my first certification, my CCNA. They called me the next day after I applied and told me if I was interesting in positions in the middle east, I said, sure why not !!, they called me 2 weeks later and we did the interview over the phone.

I was the last one who did the interview and found out on the spot that I passed, I think I got like a 90% on it. I'm finishing my CCNP when I come back from vacation, which starts today :)

EDIT: After I did the interview, I had to take my security+, which would make me DoD/8570 compliant, it was mandatory for the position.