Options

Passed Security+ YEHAW!!!

RufioRufio Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
First I passed Comptia Security+ an hour ago with a score of 855. icon_biggrin.gificon_cheers.gif I'm sure glad that is over. I hardly got any sleep last night as I replayed symmetric encryption, asymmetric encryption, hashing, policies, and port numbers through my head like a bad rerun.

Now let me try to help those who were like me before taking this exam. I am a new comer to the IT world. I jumped into IT while taking business classes at a University and decided that I loved IT networks and security. So I finished my undergrad with an Information Systems degree. I'm now enrolled in an MSIS degree, which is a little helpful in understanding the content. I have no experience in the field. As for the University training, it's nothing that can't be replaced by Darril Gibson's book so don't factor that in when analyzing what I share.

The test for me was challenging. I have opted out of taking a University class so that I could replace it with industry certifications. However, I'm required to have 3 certifications completed by April 30th. I started the Security+ material 2 1/2 weeks ago and ate it up. I read all of the chapters, took all of the practice tests, and than both of the complete exams in the front and back of Darril's book. I would say that Darril is right when he says to know why every answer is either right or wrong. The practice questions are similar to about 1/2 of the questions in the practice exams. The question is one line and you either know it or you don't. The other 1/2 require a little more thinking. The problem I often had was determining between two good answers. When the book says "this is the best" or "this is the most" or something stated about superior or slight differences in functionality...Star it in your brain. I can guarantee you'll need it.

The other problem that I had (which is similar to the previously stated challenge) is determining somewhat subjective questions. I kept wanting additional information to narrow down the options I had. I don't know if this is usual of Comptia exams, but I could explain the question, determine what I would use if I was in the situation, but the answers were not what I wanted to see or the question was too general to specifically identify one of the answers. I had a hard time with that and wished at times it was a verbal exam...icon_biggrin.gif

Now if I had to do it all over, I would first read Darril Gibson's book front to back and really know the concepts. You have to understand the technical parts of security. This is why some people in the field say this exam is easy. They work with the technical parts on a daily basis and only have to add general policies and management procedures to complete the picture. Unfortunately for me, I'm not where they're at. After going through Darril Gibson's book, review Comptia's 30 question security+ exam. It's on the Comptia website. I saw that someone posted a while ago that the Comptia questions are more difficult than the exam. I believe they are quite similar, at least from what I saw. As you take that exam, critically think about the delivery and develop a good feeling for how the wording is and the format. The problem is, they don't give you answers. I only passed the practice exam 1 out of 4 tries, so don't beat yourself up if it isn't clicking.

Take whatever you learn from that exam and return to Darril Gibson's book to fill any gaps. I also want to reiterate a former post and say that a fraggle attack is not covered in Darril's book. Though it may not be on the exam, add it to your understanding. There were probably 5 questions that I've never heard or seen before. If you are technically inclined, you'll have a better shot of nailing those questions. I'm sure I didn't. It is also possible that these are beta questions and don't count to your score...but don't bet on it.

Finally, it was challenging, but no where near impossible. If you're afraid...welcome to the club. I had to fork the cash out of my own pocket and my wife reminded me that if I failed, there was rent and two children to feed. A little sarcastic humor from the good ol' ball and chain that really made me much more nervous. I'm not saying that you're better off failing on the business's time and money, I'm just saying I really felt pressured a couple days before the exam and up the the end of it. When I touched the mouse for the first time, I think my hand started quivering...icon_redface.gif And when I clicked the end button, I waited for a good 15 seconds in absolute horror that I had just failed.. The first thing I saw was congratulations and I almost fell out of the chair.

If you're like me, try not to get lost in the psychological feelings surrounding the test and just focus on mastering the material. I couldn't focus on all of the questions I was getting right because I was dreading the ones I was confused with or didn't know. AGAIN -- make sure you know the slight differences in items that are similar. Good luck to the many that are sure to take and pass this exam and thank you Darril for your book. Off to the Network+ and A+ study books....after work and other homework. icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Options
    MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Eddie Jackson (aka MrNetTek)
    Eddie Jackson - Professional Profile
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats. Onward and upward. Whats next?
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thx for the tip and congrats. I am using Gibson's book as well, but I manage to buy an additional source. Exam Cram out of all materials, since I also did it for A+ and Network+. There were 2 version of security+ exam cram. I bought the one with just pure questions, 800+ additional questions for $27.12 CAD book + CD software.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Congrats man!!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    Joseph HarlessJoseph Harless Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. Welecome to the forums and thanks for taking the time to write up a post that many people will find valuable. A score of 855 out of 900 after 2 1/2 weeks of study is outstanding.

Good luck on your next adventures with Network+ and A+.
  • Options
    RufioRufio Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, does anyone know if Server+ is worth it? If so, where can I get a good self-study book? There are only a few books on Amazon and all have poor reviews and Comptia doesn't even have a book on their site...
  • Options
    SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Congrats mate!!

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass! Good job!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice score well done!
  • Options
    ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
    Excellent. Congrats!
    The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".