Same Drive Letter every time - usb portable drive

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I am sure I saw it somewhere, but can't find it and forgot to bookmark it. I want to use a usb portable drive attached to one computer to allow backups across a small network. Just a couple of db files we want to make sure get taken care of every day.

The people who have the drive plugged into their computer are not the most literate computer users, so I want to make sure if they move the drive to a different port, than it is showing up as the same drive letter every time.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I am sure I saw it somewhere, but can't find it and forgot to bookmark it. I want to use a usb portable drive attached to one computer to allow backups across a small network. Just a couple of db files we want to make sure get taken care of every day.

The people who have the drive plugged into their computer are not the most literate computer users, so I want to make sure if they move the drive to a different port, than it is showing up as the same drive letter every time.

Right click My computer
    Manage
    Under storage Disk Management
    Select the drive letter you want to allocate to that USB.

If this wasn't what you were looking for I apologize
  • cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »

Not sure but have you tried using disk management and assigning the USB a Certain Letter? Say Z?

Wouldn't it be easier to create a Network Share for all these users?

DB Team > Attach the share as Z: Drive via logon script, then have them backup to it?
    X
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you made it dynamic it can have the same letter every time
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: