Options

Newbie..!!

tejamainhoontejamainhoon Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Hows it going? First of all many congrats to those who have made it and all the very best for those working towards it.
I wanna start studing for Intro, have got the Cisco books, was just curious how much time should I give myself considering I work full time and dont have much experience with routers and switches. Would like to add, am just an average guy as far as my school and college mark sheets suggests.. :)
I use to be indecisive before, now I am not so sure.

Comments

• Options
    NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    I think the stock answer here is as much time as you need to understand the material.

I work full time as well, so I decided to split up the exams. I have been studying on intro for a month. Im using two sources. Whatever the Cisco Labs 2 book thing is called, and the http://www.kp-lab.com guide (cheap and to the point, worth the $10-15 it cost me) for a different perspective on the material.

At one month, I feel comfortable with most of 640-821. I choose to pick up two 2500s and a 1900 to pick up the 640-811. I work in network monitoring. As soon as I get my lab setup, Im hoping to blast through the remaining few chapters. Like I said, I do have some experience so it helps me a bit, but I can see two months of study time sufficient for someone with good study habits and a fundamental understanding of the computing/networking world.
  • Options
    tejamainhoontejamainhoon Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Noods,

Appreciate the info, looks like this is a tough nut to crack, I am planning for the split exams too and will get going today itself.
    Has anyone recently pass Intro and When are you planning to appear for the same?
    I use to be indecisive before, now I am not so sure.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Noods, if you havent already picked up the 1900 switch, dont. The test is focused on the 2950, and I have discovered that the environments are too different. I have 2 EN 1924's that are pretty much paper weights. Example, the commands to configure VLANS are totally different. Latest 1900s OS is incredibly outdated. You will get some use and practical hands on with them, as long as you get an enterprise version, otherwise you wont have any access to VLAN. You should be good to go with the 2500's though, I picked up a couple of 2501s, maxed out the ram, loaded the latest IOS, and have been able to complete every lab for the Intro using the serial interfaces
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The test is focused on the 2950, and I have discovered that the environments are too different.

Are you sure about this Johnny? It's just the two different methods i.e. 1900 and 2950 are mentioned in Sybex,I find this really annoying as its hard to remember the slight differences between the 2 methods.
    So if anyone out there has been asked on the exam to configure a 1900 with vlans please post!!!!!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    You won't receive any questions pertaining to the 1900 switch on the CCNA exam.

However, you can still configure VLANs on a 1900 switch using ISL for frame tagging (which is a Cisco propietary protocol) instead of 802.1Q (which is a IEEE standard, and what is used on the 2950 switches).
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks Porengo, my only problem with this exam is remembering commands since im only new to cisco IOS.Also i find it a little boring studying the proprietary stuff as i alway try stick to global standards.My advice to anyone is to concentrate on the cisco proprietary stuff as im sure they value this more in the exam.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    It is true that because it's a Cisco certification exam...you will be tested on your knowledge of all things that are Cisco. However, Cisco has adopted the 802.1Q frame tagging protocol for all of it's newer switches (2950 and above), and no longer uses ISL (except on their legacy switches). So, you're advice is a good one...unless you're dealing with switches on the exam.

Make sure you know 802.1Q. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Does the INTRO actually include topics on configuring or using CLI on a switch, or are those topics in ICND?
  • Options
    Yes, IOS is in the intro exam, but just basic switch/router configuration, basic administration (i.e. viewing interface status, using CDP, setting passwords, upgrading IOS, etc etc), and utilizing help syntax. Think of the Intro exam as an introduction to IOS, as well as an introduction to networking. IOS is the cornerstone of all Cisco certifications so expect to be tested on specific elements of IOS in every single Cisco exam you take.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    There seems to be some confusion about configuring routing protocols.

I am finding several simulations on practice exams on configuring routing protocols on several INTRO test exams. The intro study materials I am using does not cover configuring any routing protocols.

Is this a mistake on the practice tests I am taking, or should I expect to encounter routing protocol configuration simulations on the INTRO?
  • Options
    probably the limit on routing protocol configuaration would be to establish it on a router as part of a lab setting up interfaces.. Just know how to establish the protocol, like router rip, igrp, etc.

More importantly make sure you know the popular routing protocols and their charachteristics, i.e. distance-vector vs. link state, convergence time, routing update intervals, etc.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2