Options

what's security certs logical path/order?

Big-JJBig-JJ Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
hellow experts,

I have been constantly thinking of what logical path i should take for sec certs.

Am i missing something here?

Sec+ --> CWTS --> CEH --> SSCP --> CASP --> CISSP --> GSEC

The reason why i want to study CWTS is that I read a post here saying that CWTS knowledge would be helpful.

or can i just go straight to GSEC after Sec+?...i have saved my money for that FYI.

If you know a better route, please advise me.

Thank you,
-J-

For my background
-Network+
-Security+ (currently studying...)
-CISA (exam passed Dec 2010)
-CISM (exam passed Dec 2011 - yes, just notified yesterday :) )
MBA, CIA, CRMA, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CISSP, PMP

Comments

• Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    I would check out this thread, Keatron seems to know what he's talking about.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/28593-security-certification-where-start.html
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The CWTS is really a entry-level cert for 802.11. It's CWSP that's the 802.11 security cert, and you need to have the CWNA first.

The Security+ is not a requirement for any GIAC certification, so go for the GIAC anytime after you have completed the SANS 401 class.

While you are planning your cert path, make sure you check the requirements for each cert. Several of those you have listed require professional work experience in Information Security, or the completion of specific coursework. And check the prices too. Getting those certs will cost you anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars each.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd look at doing Security+ first then GSEC as GSEC is legitimately used as training for Security+ and overlap heavily. Both make good entry level points to security work and you can use the GSEC as continuing education for COMP/TIA, I think. I'm under the old program so those certs never expire.

As far some of the other certs go. Always get the basics done first. Develop some documented experience and work your way up the certification ladder. ISC2 requires a 4 year degree and 5 years of documented experience for the CISSP. Which of course is really a management exam but feels like an entry level certification to many employers and recruiters today.