CCNA gear setup help

JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello guy's I just registered and hope to be a member of this community after lurking for a while.

I'm new to Cisco and would need some help with my home lab setup

I recently saved up and had a budget for

2 2950s
2 1721 with SHDSL installed
1 1841 with SHDSL V3

Not much but i think more than enough for my CCNA studies.

My question is how do i connect both the 1721s and the 1841 to each other?

What type of cable do i need?

I could not fine how do connect these and i was hoping someone here would be kind enough to help.

Thanks in advance
[h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]

Comments

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Do you have any serial wic's (wan interface cards) for the 1721 and 1841 ?

You'll need at least one in each and two in one router if using wic1t's
    Or just one in each using wic2t's.

And also the cables to go with them.

Could also use wict1dsu instead (think 1841 only supports the wict1dsu-v2)
    Cisco 1800 Series Integrated Services Routers Interfaces and Modules - Cisco Systems

May also want another switch or if budget allows a 3550.

You might wantw
    hwics are more expensive but can have more features.

For the 1700's you can also get a wic1ent which gives an extra network port if needed.
    Depends on which serial wic's you use if you will have a wic slot spare or not.

How much ram and flash do the routers have ?
    show version tells you
    Which ios image you can run depends on the amount of ram and flash.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply,

I guess am screwed and will have to sell the SHDSL cards for wic1ts or wic2ts. I was very excited only to find out i cannot even use these.

Regarding the router memory the 1841 comes with a 32MB flash memory. I haven't checked the 21s yet. I will do that and get back to you.

Thanks again

Btw I came across this on ebay. Will purchasing a few of them solve my problems?

[h=1]Cisco WIC-1T X.21[/h]
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    screwed ?? huh ?

Its just part of the fun of getting hardware and setting up a lab.
    Sell them on ebay and you should get enough for serial wics

You also need to check the amounts of ram.

Ram is for running the image, flash or cf (compact flash) to store the image.
    Same as on a pc (similar).

Did you get console cables (rollover cable)?

You could hook them up via ethernet via the switch for now , once you have configured them.

Free CCNA Workbook » Lab Workbook

wic1t gives 1 serial wan connection
    wic2t or wic2as give two serial wan connections

You would need at minimum 4 wic1t's or 4 wict1dsu's or 3 wic2t's and the cables to go with

Just don't be in a hurry/rush and end up paying to much.
    I have console cables.

My question

Buying 2 wic1t for the 1721s and a wic2t for my 1841 would do the trick right?

Do i also need serial cables to connect them if so which ones?

I'm fairly new to all this but its all very exciting indeed.

I will connect and check the amount of Ram when i get home later
    You can get cables that will connect from a wic1t to wic2t

For wic1t to wic2t you need a cross over from db60 to smart serial
    For wic1t to wic1t [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] db60 to db60 dte to dce[/FONT]

For wic2t to wic2t - smart serial dte to dce

Don't have cable part numbers , as all of mine aren't cisco cables(3rd party)

WIC-1T One-Port Serial WAN Interface Card Cable Specifications - Cisco Systems
    Understanding the 1-Port Serial WAN Interface Card (WIC-1T)  [Cisco WAN Interface Cards] - Cisco Systems

Understanding 2-Port Serial WAN Interface Card (WIC-2T) - Cisco Systems
    2-Port Async/Sync WAN Interface Card (WIC-2A/S) - Cisco Systems

Free CCNA Workbook » Section 1 – Getting Started with your Cisco Lab
    Thanks for helping out Alxx.

Whats a regular price should anyone pay for a wic1t of wic2t card? Between 10 and 15 USD?

Also according to Cisco from the links you posted above wic2t is not recommended for the 1800 series which means i cannot use it on my 1841.

Could anyone confirm this?
    Using 2 wic2t's on my 1841

Its supported
    see Cisco 1800 Series Integrated Services Routers Interfaces and Modules - Cisco Systems
    https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/194174

For wic1t
    Couldn't say in US$. In $AUD(Australian dollars) under $25.
    They go from $9 to 35 here. I wouldn't pay over about $25 with p&h

wic2t
    as cheap as you can.
    They go from around $30 to $60+ here.

Seen hwic1t from $75 and hwic2t from $99 - for 1841 only
    Thank Again Alxx,

I will lurk on ebay for 2 wic1ts for my 1721s and a wic2t for my 1841.

Those two 1721 i bought with 2 db60s included so i will have to pick up a smart serial then right?
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    If you can I'd try and wait it out for a router in your price range that comes with the WIC cards. Most of the time you can snatch up a good deal in which the router comes with 1 or 2 WIC 2T or 1T cards already installed.
    I was able to find the wic1t for 15$ and i snatched them and picked up these cables as well

4x Cisco Cable, CAB-SS-X21MT, CAB-SS-X21FC, CAB-X21MT, CAB-X21FC

Though after making the payment, i realized my girlfriend is going to kill me if she finds out what I have been using the money i set aside for warm clothing for.
    I was just surfing the net and came across someone selling a Cisco 3750, is it worth it or should i just keep on patiently wait for a 3550?