Options

A+ Study Time?

ringleader0522ringleader0522 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am new to the site and I am starting to study for the A+ exams. I am pretty familiar with computers and was just wondering if someone could tell me how long it takes to study for these 2 exams. Any responses are much appreciated.

Thank you community.

Comments

• Options
    Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Ringleader,

It really depends on the individual themselves. For some it could take 3 months others 6 or possibly for some a year. I've been doing mine now for a year, due to work commitments.

Rob
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums.

As Rob mentions, it depends. There are many variables. If you spend ten hours a day for the next 45 days and you have a good understanding of the A+ objectives today, you can pass both exams and be A+ certified within 45 days. If it's mostly foreign and you spend one a hour a week it will probably take longer than a year.

Also, "pretty familiar with computers" can mean different things. People that have been regularly using a computer to surf the Internet and access email may consider themselves pretty familiar with computers, but this knowledge doesn't translate to the testable objectives of the A+ exam. One of the things you can do is take a look at the objectives and see what is familiar. Here are a couple of links for the A+ exam:

CompTIA A+ Certification
    220-701: http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/CompTIA_A_220-701.sflb.ashx
    220-702: http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/CompTIA_A_220-702.sflb.ashx

HTH,
  • Options
    ringleader0522ringleader0522 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses, and sorry for the vivid explanation of working on computers. I have built aprox 100 computers since the year 2003. So I have seen quite a bit as far as the evolution from IDE to SATA and so forth. I just haven't deep dove into things. I basically understand the way everything works however I just haven't got in depth with things like the inside of hard drives and things like that.

Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Certainly that experience will help you quite a bit. I guess the next thing to ask yourself is how much study time you plan on devoting to this. That's also a huge variable.
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you know how to assemble desktop PC's, it wouldn't take you long. The only thing you would need to do is do some memorization in things like min requirements of win installations, some command prompt functions, certain sizes of pc cards like type 1, 2, 3, etc, and perhaps some troubleshooting. If you have tech/desktop support experience, that would definitely help as well.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello all,

I am new to the site and I am starting to study for the A+ exams. I am pretty familiar with computers and was just wondering if someone could tell me how long it takes to study for these 2 exams. Any responses are much appreciated.

Thank you community.

As quoted earlier, 10 hours a day for 45 days equates to 450 hours. That seems a little excessive to me. This is not a lab tested examination, it is multiple choice. It shouldn't take 450 hours to study for and pass this test nobody has 10 hours a day to prepare for an exam unless they are unemployed.

Get some good study books on the A+ and identify the things you need to memorise and the things you need to learn and study accordingly. Do some lab exercises to put the study into context, so some equipment at home would be wise.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    make sure to study up on the command prompt commands that are listed in the objectives. You get asked a good amount of that
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    I did it in a month, just read through a book and did some practice tests. With good note taking it shouldn't take that long. Then again I've had previous experience, so for you, depending on how much experience you have, it might take longer.
  • Options
    E.SE.S Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long(months) did it take you to finnish your A+ and what are the best books for it? Assistance PLS!
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the CompTIA A+ Cert Guide by David L. Prowse & Mark Edward Soper. I studied and tested in about 3-4 weeks. I have a year of help desk and 4 years desktop support experience so that helps a bit. Be sure that you're able to score well on the practice exams & take more on-line (just search for free A+ practice tests).
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the worst part about the A+ is really all about getting over those "first time certification nerves". I personally caught myself making the dumbest mistakes during my testing. Just stay relaxed and read the questions slowly and carefully. There will be questions that will try and trip you up. As far as studying goes, theres really no need to study up to 10 hours a day. As long as you can maintain a good study schedule, for example 2 hours everyday, you should be fine to take the exam in a month or two. (depending on your prior knowledge)
  • Options
    drumguydrumguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to bump such an old thread. But I'm wondering if the 2012 study guides/books would suffice in 2015. Most of the study guides I see on amazon.com are from 2012. The one from 2014 is $110.
  • Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    drumguy wrote: »
    Sorry to bump such an old thread. But I'm wondering if the 2012 study guides/books would suffice in 2015. Most of the study guides I see on amazon.com are from 2012. The one from 2014 is $110.

If they are based on the 800-series exams, then you're all good. The exams haven't changed since 2012. That said, word has it they will be changing in August, but that's not concrete from anything I've read.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    SeaRipSeaRip Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Drumguy....save your cash bro and go to your local library and see what they have available. That's what I did and mine has a decent set of options and one of the books even came with a CD that had interactive lessons and practice tests on it. I also don't write in the books or highlight things which I know helps some peoples so you might prefer buying your own, but nonetheless it might save you a hundred bucks.

Good luck!