Who else acts like this? hah

NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ha, I'm usually willing to lend a hand to someone in need of assistance. My gripe is helping someone with programming homework. I've come across a lot of people who have expected me to do it for them.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't do that. I'm usually willing to help someone out even when they're being a jerk or worse.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i really act like that because even if i know how to fix computers i hate fixing them... ill stick with networking, i really hate pc support...
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've realized that if it's windows vista or newer, then yes I will help. I will also help if it's xp, but come on people...you can get a brand new computer that screams past your old one for less then $500....why do you want to pay me to spend four hours on an old piece of junk? Drives me nuts.... (Although I usually still cave...)
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I usually help friends, never know when you will need to call on them for their skills
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I always try to help. Favor for a favor. Or cash/lunch/dinner/liquor. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

Never have and never will. I believe in the platinum rule, treat others better than you would like to be treated. Also, if you help someone else, hopefully they will someday return. Karma..Karma
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends on what the favor is and who's asking for it. I can never say no to family, no matter how difficult the issue is. And if it's particularly difficult, I'll go out of my way to fix it for them because I know if I don't nip it in the but, it might get costly (or costlier if not taken care of right away) friends are another story. They all know the standard fee. 6 pack for a couple of minutes (alcohol or soda, as some friends don't drink) Lunch for an hour, and after that, charges apply.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i lol'd at the picture. I do help others though since it is part of my job
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    The last person I helped turned around and bought me an Amazon gift card that I went and bought textbooks with. win.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    it all depends on who it is

family ... never fix

coworkers ... never ever fix

judges/mayors ... i always fix there stuffs
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    heh i sitll dont like the idea of fixing computers.... i mean even if they pay me i still dont want O_o thats how much i hate pc support..

I used to do the favor but then i just got sick and tired of doing pc support for everyone and even more cause i hate it.. guess im the only one that hates it here haha....
    So i stick with my rule i just fix my gf comp, my comp and my dad´s comp thats it...
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol, first pic in both cases :p

jk
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I love helping others...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is like half the reason I got into IT. icon_wink.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

you can love helping people but just some sometimes abuse, they want you to fix everything for free i mean you as a provider...
    I give you a good example
    Le client:
    The Access point doestn work!! can you fix it?
    le me:
    Did you check the AP was on?
    le client:
    yes yes its on
    i need you to fix it fast please its urgent
    le me:
    I go there and the AP its off unplugged
    i tell the client

le client
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.... when i was recabling that i think i disconnected it by accident...

So i wasted my time going there just cause the client didnt want to check it
    And like this there are soo many histories... people are just too lazy, and want everything for free and i think thats why im like this now..
    Anyways i just tell them that they will have to pay and everytime i say that its like i were insulting them hahaha....

You give them your hand and they want you hand your arm and everything...
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's me for sure.
    Most of the times I get hit up for personal stuff at work from self identified "friends"
    However then minute you tell them you can't do something that's against policy they want you (really "me" ) to make an exception because we are "friends" , apparently our "friendship" rests on my ability to bend/break rules.
    Also, most gigs I did pick up from people outside of work turns out to be an entire afternoon project.
    Let's say I go to setup a wireless router at someones home and get four computers on the network I get all these add-ons such as, "btw, while your here can you also fix..." this turns into an entire afternoon. However, since I quoted them a price for a site visit I don't feel like tacking on the additional feels for minor issue, but those minor issues turn a two hour job into 4 hrs.
    icon_neutral.gif

Just a few examples, there are more horror stories.

Suffice it to say, I now have a strict policy against fixing personal computer issues outside of close friends and even then I'll set limits.
    I'll fix it if it I have a spare afternoon or something, generally if I think it's going to take me longer than an hour I recommend they take it to a repair shop, like BestBuy.

I'd say it takes a certain personality to get into that line of work and not be taken advantage of.
    I've been in support for about 4+ yrs and while I was good at it, I never quite enjoyed it.
    The few times a favor was repaid it was certainly not proportional to the work that got put in.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    it all depends on who it is

family ... never fix

coworkers ... never ever fix

Very true - especially the family bit ... Can't stand that to be honest. There is me visiting my parents after almost 18 months and the first thing they ask me is to fix their frikin laptops and PCs.

Direct co-worker - I don't help them when they are in the same department - we normally just say "MTFU" :)
    "Lower" IT-Knowledgeable departments : sure why not :)

BUT: I hate fixing PCs with a passion - I hate crawling underneath a desk to find that unplugged audio cable or swap that CPU which is dug into 5 years worth of dust .. no thanks ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I generally only help immediate family and my in-laws. I'd rather not do that either, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do to keep the peace. Everyone else, I politely tell them I simply don't have the time, and it's true. I don't get home until late in the evening during the weekend, and I'm not spending my weekends fixing computers, and we usually have something else going on anyway.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi