A+ v.. Ccent

DECLAN82DECLAN82 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI THERE...IM LOOKING INTO DOIN,,EITHER THE A+ ESSENTIALS COURSE OR GOIN STRAIGHT INTO DOIN THE,,CCENT,,ANY ADVICE ON WHICH WAY TO GO TOWARDS MY AIM OF GETTING THE CCNA,,,,AND IS IT TRUE YOU CAN GO FOR THE,CCNA STRAIGHT AFTER THE A+...ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATEDicon_cool.gif

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend "Network+" instead, as "Cisco Certified XXX" are vendor specific. Get some non-vendor specific knoweledge which would help as an introduction. You can, however, go into CCNA right away and take the Composite exam.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're going for the CCNA afterwards, then definitely focus on the CCENT. There's a big, BIG difference between your two options, though: one focuses on computer hardware & software, while the other covers networking and network theory that's specifically focused on Cisco products. There's really no comparing the A+ and CCENT side by side, so it's really up to you if you want to nail down PC repair topics or look at networking technologies.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Slowhand wrote: »
    If you're going for the CCNA afterwards, then definitely focus on the CCENT. There's a big, BIG difference between your two options, though: one focuses on computer hardware & software, while the other covers networking and network theory that's specifically focused on Cisco products. There's really no comparing the A+ and CCENT side by side, so it's really up to you if you want to nail down PC repair topics or look at networking technologies.

^That sums it up right there. You need to decide for yourself if you want to learn more about computer fundamentals / OS troubleshooting or if you want to work more in networking. If the latter, maybe look at CompTIA Network+ unless you feel ready to jump right into Cisco. Personally, I just started with the CCENT as I want to try and stay away from desktop support and the computer repair field. In my case I want to solely focus on networking.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I would recommend "Network+" instead, as "Cisco Certified XXX" are vendor specific. Get some non-vendor specific knoweledge which would help as an introduction. You can, however, go into CCNA right away and take the Composite exam.

This is bad advice. The Net+ is utterly superseded by the CCNA. The CCNA teaches everything the Net+ will. And despite the fact that Cisco's certs are vendor specific, in the network world, they're a de facto standard. Even Cisco's competitors recognize the value in Cisco certs, that's why companies like HP and Juniper have fast track programs for their certifications that are aimed at Cisco certified people to get them up to speed with their gear. A number of vendors also make their network gears operating system a very close clone of Cisco IOS because they recognize that there are a huge number of Cisco certified people around, and making the learning curve as small as possible for people already in the field (not to mention leveraging their competitors resources for their own gain) gives them a better chance to sell gear.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    What Forsaken said...

I found Net+ to be an utter waste of money. Luckily I certified prior to the new expiring cert BS, if I hadn't there is no way I would ever pay to recertify with CompTIA. If networking is where you want to be, definitely look into CCENT.
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I personally found that studying the Net+ material before the CCENT to be beneficial however I won't take the Net+ exam. I'll do ICND1 then ICND2 to get the most bang for my money.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on who pays for it, if your company pays for it, then do the Net+ before the CCENT/CCNA just because it will act like a primer.

Also, don't forget about DoO opportunities in the future which may require CompTIA certs. Hell, if you know you can pass it, and your employer will pay for it, why not do the most possible? More gems for the resume I say...
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems