Work Commute

2»

Comments

• AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would also take a paycut to work closer to home. When I started at this company it was 5 miles from home. Now it's 25 miles away with the same pay. The pay is alright but I have to own a second car for commuting because of gas and wear and tear on my car. I would hope to start riding my bike to work when the weather gets warmer.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you get a rather short commute worked out, also consider updating your auto insurance provider. If you have a lower mileage commute, you may be able to score savings on your premiums. While my wife was stay-at-home, we saved about $50/month on full coverage for our van that we had.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My commute is about 30 to 45 mins, anymore is absurd lol
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I have it really nice, I managed to find a job that's only 10 minutes from my house.

Been here four years, and I couldn't imagine how crappy a longer commute would be icon_thumright.gif
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends how much mooolah they wanna pay me.

Seriously what I do right now is enough. At 60-75 minutes one way is enough for me. My car has tacked on 30K+ in the past 18 months.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    We should seriously invest in technologies to reduce reliance on oil. Less cost. Less problems in the world. Less profit for the glitterati.

I would really like to see high-speed intra-city rail investigated more. For myself and many of my fellow commuters, the mode of transportation taken to get to work is determined almost entirely by what is method fastest, distantly followed by what method is most affordable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Isnt it all relative. Depends onlocation, pay/benefit, lifestyle. I used to commute a few hundred miles one-way. Travel to work on a Monday and back home on Friday.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I currently work about 50 miles away from my house and the hour drive is beginning to get to me. I started back in October, and I was just happy to get my 1st IT job but now ughhhhh...I wish I lived 10-15 minutes away. 10 hours of driving a week for work is just too much for me.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I've been working in IT for almost 25 years in the Atlanta area and I have had a number of jobs where the commute was an hour or more (even at 6 AM). However, for the last 5 years I have worked from home about 90% of the time. It will be VERY hard for me to go back to sitting in an office every day because it is simply a total waste for me to spend all the time commuting and wasting gas, etc... More companies should be looking into letting employees work from home because it saves time and gas and it helps make employees have a much better morale towards work.

If I ever do have to go back in the office again I will move as close as possible to the office. The long drives just take too much out of you over a long period of time - and now that I do not do the drive I see how much better my overall attitude is towards work and life in general.