CCIE Dynamips setup

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Just looking about google and there appears to be tons of different write ups and methods to run dynamips for a CCIE lab. Im just looking if anyone could point me in the right direction of one they have actually used please? I have access to 4x3560's and a couple of routers (2800,3600,1800 and 2600's) but will probably need the rest to consist of dynamips to make up the lab. Im not looking to begin studying for the IE yet but could be building the lab whilst i complete my masters degree in the process! Im hoping to borrow a desktop PC from work but if not i will be looking to use my macbook pro.

Any recommendations and so forth would be much appreciated. I think im also leaning towards the INE materials if that makes any difference.

On a different note, can anyone also recommend some reasonably priced PDU's with remote management to switch the lab off/on to save on energy?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just looking about google and there appears to be tons of different write ups and methods to run dynamips for a CCIE lab. Im just looking if anyone could point me in the right direction of one they have actually used please? I have access to 4x3560's and a couple of routers (2800,3600,1800 and 2600's) but will probably need the rest to consist of dynamips to make up the lab. Im not looking to begin studying for the IE yet but could be building the lab whilst i complete my masters degree in the process! Im hoping to borrow a desktop PC from work but if not i will be looking to use my macbook pro.

Any recommendations and so forth would be much appreciated. I think im also leaning towards the INE materials if that makes any difference.

On a different note, can anyone also recommend some reasonably priced PDU's with remote management to switch the lab off/on to save on energy?

I cant offer any specific advice as Im old school and use either real hardware at home or on remote racks. Im sure you will get some help though as GNS3 and dynamips is popular. Best advice I can give though is to invest lots of time getting the bugs out so your lab plays nicely. This applies to real hardware as well as dynamips labs. My physical lab is running much smoother now thanks to the time I invested in it the last 10 days.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009

I actually use Dynamips/GNS3 very often when on the road due to either A. Lack of available remote lab slots or B. lack of access to my home equipment. I have 2 topologies right now that I use for the INE Vol 1 Books. Topology A is based on a series of 3725s running 12.4 advanced enterprise. Topology B is based on a mix of 3640s and 3725s.

I would recommend studying on physical hardware whenever possible, but the Dynamips/GNS3 solution does help when you have limited availability to gear.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah i agree turg, im going to try and get as much hardware as i possibly can but may need to fill in with dynamips where possible. Hopefully work will agree with letting me leave all this stuff in our DC to save on my energy consumption :D

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    after digging through pages and pages of dynamips setup blogs it sounds like it could be a pain with all the bugs etc and plus i would prefer a hardware lab. So i decided to check the kit out which i had lying about around home/work and found i had the following available to me:

1x 1812
    1x 3620
    1x 2511
    4x 2800
    1x 3640
    4x 3560
    1x 3625
    1x 2610xm
    2x 2612
    1x 2501
    1x 2516

From the INE lab setup list i should be covered from my workings.

Can anyone also recommend a cheap managed UPS?

I was quite suprised to say the least and feels the kitlist i already have makes this a easy decision on whether to have a shot or not. What do you guys use/recommend for a FR switch? Something cost effective would be nice as the savings could go towards workbooks etc. i know INE use a 2522 but i checked ebay and there about £120-150 inc delivery! Would it be worth using the 3640 chassis and combining the two module cards into a single box then get a replacement box for the 3640?

I already have the following books + the kitlist above:

Doyle TCP/IP 1&2
    Odoms CCIE cert guide
    CCNP R&S cert guides
    Halabi MPLS book
    Hamilton Cisco Switching book

Im thinking of adding:

INE workbooks 1-4 ( the $600 cost of these seem excellent value!)
    Possibly some VOD - although not sure whether to go INE/CBT Nuggets - any suggestions? I commute a round trip of 2 hours per day so the VOD in the car may be a good use of time.
    Boson Written practice test.

Sadly, i cant afford a bootcamp atm. My work wont be paying for any of this, but has said i can use any spares we have - unless they need to be sent into production. But i feel the above will give me a good grounding for now and if i go on any future courses, i will be prompting work to send me to the narbik bootcamp!

When do cisco usually hold Lab examinations? is it like a quaterly basis or times when they determine and then just announce? i tried looking on their website but it said i need to have passed the IE Written to see the exam dates. I guess Brussels would be my closest centre :s

I cant wait to finish my masters dissertation to get cracking with this now :D

Thanks for any feedback on the above.