Do you display your certs?

535irob535irob Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do you display your certs in your office? If so so you put them all up or just ones that pertain to your work?

I have been thinking about getting 2 nice frames and putting up my Cisco Certs at work but not 100% sure. Figure they would look better here then sitting in a filing cabinet at home....

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    No, I think its kinda corny, I do however display them on the wall we have for the company since it gets a lot of attention. I don't even have any certs in my signature unless I feel someone is challenging my skills and I'm 99 percent sure they are incorrect, I will usually reply with a cert in the signature block.

With that said, be proud of your accomplishments and if thats how you want to show them go for it. In the few jobs's I had I've only seen a few people do it, but if it makes you feel good why not.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • 535irob535irob Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya, not so much as making me feel good.. just something to do LOL. I don't include any in the email sig as I don't work at a VAR talking to clients.
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally i don't display mine at work, however i do display them at home. I feel like it really depends on the corporation and the environment you work in as weather or not you should display them at work. In other words if everyone in your company likes to display their certs and degrees go for it. If no one else does it why single your self out?
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The company I work for is VERY big about education and credentials and more than half of the people in my area display thier degrees and certs. I display mine at work and at home.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I have one on the wall at home hanging next to my degree. Also have one on my desk at work, hanging below my "Early Bird Award" I recieved for being early every day for the last year.

The only reason I brought it in is because my boss had his hanging up as well. We also have a 3' by 6' Microsoft Partner banner hanging in our tech room, with our Citrix and Microsoft Partner Plaques below (idk if they cost extra or not).
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nothing on my walls or signature block. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I've debated this myself. I'll probably hang them up but not add them to my signature. I feel that's a little corny.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a bit nineties. HR and your boss will know your qualifications and word will get around your peers that you have them. Lose the alphabet was the term about 2002 onwards and rightly so as everyone was overdoing it. When I passed my MCSE in 1999 I wore my tie pin for a few days. Never again as someone put a silly badge on their tie. You live and learn.

Now if it's your personal cube at work and you really want to do it then by all means. At work we have a number of CCIE's. Some do put a number on their email signature, some dont. We all know their qualifications anyway and no one wears a bomber jacket. They don't give those anymore these days but still.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's wack and indicative of someone with insecurities or thinks certs show how great an employee you are.

I have mine in a binder. I wouldn't mind hanging my degree. Though I won't front, I'd hang a CCIE.
    It's wack and indicative of someone with insecurities or thinks certs show how great an employee you are.

I have mine in a binder. I wouldn't mind hanging my degree. Though I won't front, I'd hang a CCIE.

If you are qualified in something impressive people know anyway. Its cool to be cool about this stuff. People dont like a glory space full of credentials. You earned them, you are entitled to hang them and all the rest..but some people dont like it. Insecurity on the part of the beholder perhaps as opposed to the person hanging them up. It's a people thing.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□

Well, that's your opinion. I neither feel insure in my abilities nor the need to use my certs to show how great an employee I am. I know I'm good at what I do and my employer knows it through the job I do. Different companies have different cultures.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only "display" I do for my certs is whatever is under my avatar on here AND linkedin. (Though in all fairness, I do display the CIW Web Associates AND the CIW Javascript certs on linkedin as well.) I earned them, so I figured why not. But as far as the "certificates" go.....I only care about the ones from college and that's hung up on the wall in my office. I hope to have up on my wall my Master's.

In my opinion, I would not use certs in my signature block or even sign it with a Master's. In my opinion, I think the only certs I would, personally, put on my signature would be a CISSP and/or the PMP (I would say CCIE, but I only mean the certs I could see myself going for...CCIE is not in the plans :) ). But my MCITP:EA.....umm, no. Then again though, if I was at a shop where folks were throwing around letters after their name, I'd probably do it. But if I had the choice...then no.

Again, this is my opinion, and I do not knock folks that do sign their names with certs.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I remember someone posting a similar thread a while ago...

Anyways, I don't display my certs because I don't want to a ton of questions about them.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't display them or use them in my signature block.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I don't hang or add to my signature block. However I have been debating on adding at least 1 to my signature.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    I used to put all of them in my email signature but decided against that years a go and stopped. However that being said I made an exception once I got my CCIE#.

With the CCIE I logged over 1500 hours of rack time, gave up two years of my life, and almost ended up divorced. This one stays!!

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    It depends on the person. I personally used to put it in my email signature but then i stopped. It got to the point that I stop caring. Also, I don't have any certs hang in my office. However, I will make sure i flaunt my CCIE # if ever i pass.
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I will make sure i flaunt my CCIE # if ever i pass.

Correction:
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I will make sure i flaunt my CCIE # when i pass.

:)

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i have a copy taped to my cube :) ill prolly take it off one day but right now im proud that i was able to go to school, work and also have the time to study to pass.
  • BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wear my gold stars with pride, those burgers don't flip themselves you know!
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SubnetZero wrote: »
    I used to put all of them in my email signature but decided against that years a go and stopped. However that being said I made an exception once I got my CCIE#.

With the CCIE I logged over 1500 hours of rack time, gave up two years of my life, and almost ended up divorced. This one stays!!
    Make sure you hang up your marriage certificate then. You have to recertify in that daily as opposed to every 3 years like Cisco.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have my exam transcripts tattooed on my arse.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I'm proud of my CISSP so I have that in my sig and on my wall. I'm the only IT person in my state for my company so the only way people know me is through email. In a company of 25000, with about a thousand IT employees, only 2 have the CISSP and we both have it in our sigs. No CCIEs here at the moment, afaik. I've been told that we contract all of those that we need.

I've had it less than a year so I'm still happy to explain what it is to anyone who asks. I will add my CCIE# when I get it, but that's a long way off. Haven't decided if I will hang my BS at work. On one hand, it took me 10 years to finish and I worked my ass of for it while being employed full time, on the other, it's just a bachelor's.
    buzzkill wrote: »
    I have my exam transcripts tattooed on my arse.

Was it worth the pain?
    swild wrote: »
    I'm proud of my CISSP so I have that in my sig and on my wall. I'm the only IT person in my state for my company so the only way people know me is through email. In a company of 25000, with about a thousand IT employees, only 2 have the CISSP and we both have it in our sigs. No CCIEs here at the moment, afaik. I've been told that we contract all of those that we need.

I've had it less than a year so I'm still happy to explain what it is to anyone who asks. I will add my CCIE# when I get it, but that's a long way off. Haven't decided if I will hang my BS at work. On one hand, it took me 10 years to finish and I worked my ass of for it while being employed full time, on the other, it's just a bachelor's.

Yes in an impersonal world it can be a useful way of letting people know you are qualified, and if those resources are scarce in the company maybe it's a good approach!
  • buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Was it worth the pain?

Mid-way through I found myself questioning whether opting for the verbose version of the cert name was a wise move.
    buzzkill wrote: »
    Mid-way through I found myself questioning whether opting for the verbose version of the cert name was a wise move.

hehehe..I imagine you did at that!
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have my own little personal Wall of Fame at home where I put all my certs. I don't look at it regularly but it helps when you feel down or when you think "I will never pass this one". It keeps me motivated.

At work I have my RHCE on display. It's not there because anybody would doubt my skills, it's more of a subtile warning. The company intially agreed to pay for it but never made it happen. So I paid for it on my own and will move on...
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
    lordy wrote: »
    I have my own little personal Wall of Fame at home where I put all my certs. I don't look at it regularly but it helps when you feel down or when you think "I will never pass this one". It keeps me motivated.

At work I have my RHCE on display. It's not there because anybody would doubt my skills, it's more of a subtile warning. The company intially agreed to pay for it but never made it happen. So I paid for it on my own and will move on...

When I get my CCIE I will get a bomber jacket and place the old style logo on the left sleeve plus the number. I will follow that with a logo for CNE and MCSE for old times sake. Im qualified.

I shall only wear it when I do side jobs for the small firms. Im sure the wannabees will love it!

Other than that it's all in a box someplace.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I paid for 'em, so I plaster them everywhere I can!!! icon_cool.gif

jdmurray-albums-certificates-picture1895t-certwall.jpg

Seriously though, it really depends on your business culture. I work in a place where certs are respected and actively sought, so we display them where appropriate--including in our email sigs.