Options

RipV2

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just a quick question as im pretty sure i know the answer but its always best to confirm.
With RipV2 if im using VLSM's is it the same as EIGRP and am i supposed to use the command no auto-summary when using discontinuos networks.
I-m pretty sure you have too and also in practice i would feel better to alway use this command to have more control over my routing updates.
So is this done in the field or do operators prefer to eliminate this command if they dont have discontinuos networks.
I know that its a trade off between bandwidth and more convergence time over control but whats most commonly used in practice.
Cheers,

Ed
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its best practice is to turn off auto summary
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Yeah, if your subnets are discontigous, you have to turn off auto-summary. Of course, it's bad network planning to have discontigous subnets in the first place, but sometimes you inherit other peoples screwups hehe
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    Yes but what if the networks arnt discontinuos, turning off auto summary will create larger routing tables and also increase the chances of convergence due to a failed subnet.
    So mainly i would like to know in the real world with no discontinuos networks
    present do carriers leave auto summary on or off.
    This question is geared towards someone who works on cisco networks daily!
  • Options
    sputnic68sputnic68 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work with cisco networks daily. We turn off auto-summary on every router. Not the best practice but that is what the head guy wants. The best practice in real world networks would be to turn off auto-summary and summarize areas where needed. That way you don't have the problems with the discontiguous networks and still have nice routing tables.
  • Options
    Thanks Sputnic!