Processor Installation Question

XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got an AMD FX8120 and ASUS M5A88 mobo. I'm not sure if its been too long, but I feel real dumb. Processor is in. The thermal paste was already on the heat sink, and I put it on. But it doesn't seem to latch onto anything. There looks like something on it to latch it onto something, but it won't latch on.

Now, I may of did a dumb thing and took it off and tried to put it on another way. It doesn't seem to latch that way either. Now, before I do anything else, should I head up to a store and get some thermal paste to reapply? And any suggestions on how to latch the processor onto the mobo? The thermal paste alone seems to keep it on...but I seriously doubt that's how it works.

Suggestions? Pics provided.The documentation is way too vague and I can't seem to find any good videos on how to install.

I found this... How To: Install Processor - YouTube

But it doesn't latch on like this video. :/ Confused. Please help.

6849089507_b1a28db60e.jpg

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Can't tell 'cause the CPU Fan connector is int he way, but it should be at the base of the CPU there, looks like it may be. The latch doesn't go straight down, it will angle in towards the CPU, but that metal part with the square hole in it there is your latch.

Is that the heat sink and fan that came with the CPU? If not, are you sure you got one that is compatible?
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    You will definitely need to reapply thermal paste. I would have done that before putting the heatsink on in the first place. Never trust thermal paste that is already applied fresh out of the box. Often it is too think and dis-contiguous. Also, those heatsinks with the metal latch arm like you have are a pain in the a**. You should be able to latch it on the side without the black arm. After that, flip that black arm up (so that its no longer parallel with the motherboard), and press down and in towards the heatsink. This should latch it. Sorry if my explanation sucks, each one seems to be different. If all else fails, you may just have to play around with it. Or try and find some instruction videos on youtube. Newegg may have one of their product line videos for this motherboard. And they may show the processor being installed. Probably worth a look. Good luck!
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I guess that's all I'm doing tonight. :/ I'll have to go up to the store to get more thermal paste tomorrow.

So I'm supposed to latch on the side without the black arm? This really seems like a PITA since that doesn't really seem possible. :/ This is my third computer I'm building...first one in about five years. I never saw a CPU fan that seemed so impossible install. icon_sad.gif This latch is really weird. It feels like a cheap toy. It should just lock in. >.< Tired and annoyed now, so best I give this a rest.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I'll be able to do everything by tomorrow night. Remove the fan and thermal grease, re-apply, hopefully connect everything else without fail. After that, everything else should go smoothly.