Quirky issues with permissions with Windows 7

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
I have two issues that I have been searching for 16 hours for a solution to. Both sites, new windows 7 computer.

Site A)
SBS 2011, user migrated from 2003 SBS. When we did the migration to 2011 the user had windows xp. We sold them all new Win 7 computers and migrated everyone's profile over to the new computers. The customer had Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 installed on one of the pcs and wanted it installed on a new PC. That worked fine - BUT now the customer goes to "save as" in adobe to save it as a JPEG and it won't work. Nothing happens. Now, if I log into her computer with my Admin account it works fine. Any other user? Same, it works. I thought it might be admin rights, so I tried Run as admin - nope, elevate her username to admin - nope. I'm out of ideas.

Site B)
New computer with Windows 7/IE 9. User goes to print a website and all they get is a blank page. Any other user has no problem printing the same page. We tried running as admin and that seemed to help. I elevated her user to admin also. I'm still waiting on if that worked.

There has to be some other solution to these without raising everyone to admin. Why are rights so quirky in Windows 7? It's been driving me nuts.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    a: have you checked to make sure the folder that has the profile is set to full controll not read only, ive had them set to read only after a migration

b: id suggest reloading the printer stuffs, how ever i hate printers and paper type things so im out of luck there
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A. Adobe 7 isn't supported by Adobe for Windows 7 (This could be a way just to push people to newer versions) I'd grab a demo of 8 or 9 and see if your issue is resolved.

B. IE 9 is pure garbage and roll back to 8 and try printing again. Also make sure protected mode isn't running.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have two issues that I have been searching for 16 hours for a solution to. Both sites, new windows 7 computer.

Site A)
    SBS 2011, user migrated from 2003 SBS. When we did the migration to 2011 the user had windows xp. We sold them all new Win 7 computers and migrated everyone's profile over to the new computers. The customer had Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 installed on one of the pcs and wanted it installed on a new PC. That worked fine - BUT now the customer goes to "save as" in adobe to save it as a JPEG and it won't work. Nothing happens. Now, if I log into her computer with my Admin account it works fine. Any other user? Same, it works. I thought it might be admin rights, so I tried Run as admin - nope, elevate her username to admin - nope. I'm out of ideas.

Site B)
    New computer with Windows 7/IE 9. User goes to print a website and all they get is a blank page. Any other user has no problem printing the same page. We tried running as admin and that seemed to help. I elevated her user to admin also. I'm still waiting on if that worked.

There has to be some other solution to these without raising everyone to admin. Why are rights so quirky in Windows 7? It's been driving me nuts.

For Site B: try this
    How Can I Run 32-Bit Internet Explorer on Windows 64-Bit? | eHow.com

Printing in IE 9

Internet Explorer Webpage Print Problem

Windows 7x64 bit IE9x64bit Error Message:

An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line 2107 Char 1

Error Unspecified Code 0 URL res://ieframe.dll/preview.js

IE9x32bit does not give this error.

IE 9 x 64 bit requires “Run As Administrator” to print webpages.

Start/ All Programs/ Internet Explorer x64 bit/ Right Click the program icon/ Properties/ Advanced/ Check “Run As Administrator”/
    Apply. If there is an icon on the desktop, it also needs the same change.

The Dell Tech said that IE9x32 and IE9x64 are both good browsers. Most websites are formatted to run x32bit version so there’s no big advantage to IE9x64bit. If you use IE9x32 bit, the print webpages works correctly
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Acrobat 7 is NOT supported on Windows 7. There are some work arounds but none are very pretty. Upgrade to 9+ for full functionallity.

As for the printing problem I've seen it many times with roaming profiles. If it's the same, it prints out blank with just the URL on the bottom if I recall correctly. Below are the steps to fix.

[LIST=1|INDENT=1]
    [*]Click Start

VistaStartButton.jpg
    , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
    [*]Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    [*]Enter ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low
    [*]Print or print preview a Web page in Internet Explorer.
    [/LIST]If the folder doesn't exist you may have to create it first. I wrote a batch file for this since about 1/10 computers at my old work had this issue.