Options

When is MCSA expiring and any chance of second shot being re-introduced

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I bought some MCSA books mid last year which I had hoped I would have completed my MCSA by now but surprisingly I have not even done a single exam. I would like to do the exams this year but I have had rumours and seen previous post that MCSA is expiring in June this year. I would like to pursue the exam because at work we still use Win 2000 server and a majority of XP computers. I would want to throw away a complete set of books to see me through to MCSE if I can go through all of them.

So is the MCSA being retired this year?

Also is the second shot offer likely to be returned again this year so as to help me complete my exams?

Comments

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    mishy wrote: »
    I bought some MCSA books mid last year which I had hoped I would have completed my MCSA by now but surprisingly I have not even done a single exam. I would like to do the exams this year but I have had rumours and seen previous post that MCSA is expiring in June this year. I would like to pursue the exam because at work we still use Win 2000 server and a majority of XP computers. I would want to throw away a complete set of books to see me through to MCSE if I can go through all of them.

So is the MCSA being retired this year?

Also is the second shot offer likely to be returned again this year so as to help me complete my exams?

I've heard rumors about them expiring too but can't find that information on the Microsoft site. I'm still getting two MCSA exams this year (70-290, 291) and am not really in a rush because I can't find an expiration date. I would make sure to get them this year though, as they'll probably expire relatively soon.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Personally, I would guess that the MCSE exams will (probably have) started expiring before the MCSA ones. I'm thinking that Microsoft has upgraded most of its enterprise systems that run on their server platform (e.g. Exchange, SQL Server) and they make more money from those than they do off the OSes. Pushing higher-level engineers to recertify on newer products helps keep money flowing in to MS, so they'll cut those exams off sooner.

I would think the MCSA exams will retire more slowly, though, as there are lots of small shops still running Server 2003 that can't afford to cut over, so support is still needed and the exams are still of value.

It's coming, though. It's fun to study for an "older" exam in the sense that materials are more cheaply and more commonly had, but it can be too easy to think the exams will stick around. Microsoft could shut these down with relatively short notice-- I would not procrastinate on these.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies. Like Petedude studying for an older exam is cheaper I spent £50 on all the MSCE 2003 books whereas for the new exams that would be the cost one book. I will see if I can push myself to take most of the exams this year.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have neither seen nor heard of any announcement or even hint of exam retirement from Microsoft. You can bet it will not happen before Q4, given that there has been no announcement. You can also bet they will be retired before 2014, the year 2003 & XP leave support. That doesn't give much of a window. I would advise against anyone pursuing MCSE at this time, but MCSA is still attainable, especially with already having the client exams and electives out of the way.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340