Options

how to allow rapid spanning-tree on router in gns3

beginner_ccnabeginner_ccna Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
ive added an ethernet switch module to the device but there is no option to change the modes within spanning-tree?

changing spanning-tree modes in packet tracer works but there is no option in gns3

can someone point me in the right direction please

thanks

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GNS3 doesn't support switches in CLI. The best you'd get is to use Etherswitch modules for routers.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Doesn't seem possible - seems only PVST is supported with the etherswitch module. However there are options such as portfast, uplinkfast and backbonefast to play with to speed things up.

Nate
  • Options
    thanks for the replies

ive got my lab configured using uplinkfast, using 4 switches and 2 servers, all seems to working fine

few questions, what port states does it use? same as rapid spanning-tree or normal spanning-tree?

also, if i want to change the mac-addresses of the switches so the root bridges change depending on which one i want, how do i go about this? do i need to change the mac address of the vlan?

thanks
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies

ive got my lab configured using uplinkfast, using 4 switches and 2 servers, all seems to working fine

few questions, what port states does it use? same as rapid spanning-tree or normal spanning-tree?

also, if i want to change the mac-addresses of the switches so the root bridges change depending on which one i want, how do i go about this? do i need to change the mac address of the vlan?

thanks

Port states will just be normal STP states, as that is what you are using. As for setting the Root Bridge, set the Bridge priority to influence Root Selection, you wouldn't change MAC addresses at all.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009467c.shtml#maintask1

Nate
  • Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    You dont need to change MAC address for that.
    Bridge ID = Priority+MAC address
    You can change the priority for the vlans with spanning-tree vlan 1 priority 1 (increments on 4096)
  • Options
    i thought i would change my switchs mac address to aaaa..... bbbb...... cccc..... ddddd...... to make it easier for me to mess around with the lab, o well, thanks, priority has been changed

i will inform the guy who gave me the task of implementing rstp that it is not allowed in gns3 or maybe it was a test from him to see if i would know

as this task was about rstp, shall i use uplinkfast or backbonefast? what would you guys recommend?