Options

CCNA Courses

Kieran7Kieran7 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
There are lots of website around offering the chance to pass very quickly, ranging from a weekend to a month or so.

My question is are any of them actually worth it or are they all scams ?

I understand taking your time to actually understand what you are doing is the best way to approach it but can the above method work.

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Quite a few of the sites are probably brain ****. First off, they are prohibited. Secondly, you would end up only knowing the answers to the exam questions and not really understand the material

Even if you took a CCNA boot camp, there would still be alot of memorization to do after the class. I don't think any one week class could have you ready for the exam, and certainly not a weekend class.

CCNA requires alot of subnetting. I know people who had a week-long course on subnetting and still didn't "get it", so it also depends on your ability to pick things up as well.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been looking for CCNA materials myself and have found more than one site to be less than reputable after a few quick Google searches. The bottom line is the age old adage: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Best to do your research before buying anything.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are starting from zero or near zero, you're not going to learn everything in a week, and probably not in a month either. If you need a refresher, Wendell Odom's book or Todd Lammle's book has you covered for a lot cheaper. The money you save would be better spent on a modest home lab that will still be useful when you move on to the next thing after the CCNA.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can join a college, or a technical school that teaches Cisco or networking - I think that would be the best bet. Yes, expensive but it would get the job done to let you absorb the information.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I'm currently in my second year of the Cisco Networking Academy that is offered at my local University, I have learned a lot, but I have put a lot into it. It is a great way to not only learn the material, but also make life long friends and contacts while you are doing so.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nerdydad wrote: »
    I'm currently in my second year of the Cisco Networking Academy that is offered at my local University, I have learned a lot, but I have put a lot into it. It is a great way to not only learn the material, but also make life long friends and contacts while you are doing so.

You already have your CCNA. Do you have an academy that's teaching CCNP?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

They are out there. I am taking the CCNP Net academy courses as part of my B.A.S.. However unlike the CCNA courses and the older CCNP courses the content is in book format just like other cisco press books. You would still log into the net academy site to do the assessments and should still have access to Net Lab and a real lab. Personally, I think I like this better than the older format and would have been happy with this format in the CCNA courses.

I wonder if they will be moving all the courses to this eventually or if it is only for the CCNP or maybe this is just a stop gap while they develop a new online format.
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

There are a few Academies that teach CCNP, but they appear to be few and far between. And like gosh1976 said, it is far more self study than CCNA, the instructor is really just there to facilitate.