Options

whats your opinions on the Healthcare IT Technician specialty certification COMPTia

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
whats your opinions on the Healthcare IT Technician specialty certification COMPTia
is it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A quick dice.com search for Comptia Healthcare shows three jobs that might like to see that cert. So I would say it value at this point in time is 0. That being said in a few years as Comptia Markets the program to healthcare orgs it might start gaining some traction. But as it stands you're better off investing your time and money into something with a current higher rate of return.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't work in healthcare, but my gut reaction from the start has been no. Maybe if you have just an A+ (or less) and no experience and want to break in the healthcare industry specifically it will help you. Otherwise, I don't really see the point. IT doesn't fundamentally change much between industries -- in some cases, it doesn't change at all.

Maybe it adds a couple points to the entry-level resume, but I really think time and money is better spend on pursuing a higher-level systems, networking, or security certification.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    just another money spinner for comptia then

coming soon the schools technician certification frm comptia
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with Daniel333 it's not "hot" yet. However, since HIPPA is big and Cisco/Comptia have created healthcare certifications ramp up now. I believe since Cloud Computing and Virutalization is the future; I really think Healthcare I.T. professionals will be needed too i.e. Virutalization certs (Citrix, Microsoft, and VMware). In the hospital and healthcare field many different vendor hardware/software is used everyday. Therefore, an skilled healthcare certified professional on hand will be like the old days of desktop and server admins being the focal point.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for an Electronic Healthcare Record software vendor and I have to say that as of right now, it doesn't exactly carry any weight and can be ignored for the time being. The only thing I can imagine that it would cover anyways is probably basic ideas of ICD-9 (and maybe ICD-10), CPT, etc. and maybe HIPAA and patient privacy/security practices. Everything else in HIT is your basic garden variety IT anyways, I think personally it was just something CompTIA decided to throw out there because HIT is the hot new ticket in town and it'll attract all the gullable IT cert lovers to go and spend money on another useless CompTIA piece of paper.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    it may come in handy with obama care?
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    When I worked in Healthcare IT, they organization I worked for didn't care about certs at all. I have a couple friends that work at other Healthcare organizations, and theirs don't care about them either.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    For us in the UK, it's not worth it as it's geared up towards the US market (inc laws).
    DoubleD wrote: »
    ...coming soon the schools technician certification frm comptia

In the UK, we actually have something along those lines, the Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS) - Intro, Practitioner (level 3) and Advanced (level 4) - new versions. Previous versions were Practitioner (level 4, comparable to a first year module at Uni) and Manager (level 5, comparable to a second year module at Uni). Best practice methodology for the education sector based on ITIL.

So we've beat Comptia to it :)
  • Options
    TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    When I worked in Healthcare IT, they organization I worked for didn't care about certs at all. I have a couple friends that work at other Healthcare organizations, and theirs don't care about them either.

I work in healthcare and it was my first job. During the interview they were happy that i had a A+. I have gotten promoted and 2 raises because i continue on the certification tracks.

I like the looks of this Comptia Healthcare Tech exam. If I was still in desktop support and was still under a year or 2 of experience i would go for this exam.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DoubleD wrote: »
    is it worth it?

I’m going for this exam after I pass my 70-680, but after reading the comments it seems like it doesn’t have much value. I find the HIPPA laws interesting.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I’m going for this exam after I pass my 70-680, but after reading the comments it seems like it doesn’t have much value. I find the HIPPA laws interesting.

Being at a hospital you get plenty of exposure to those laws. It seems like a lot of the good hospitals have good HIPAA training progams in place. IMO it's experience or bust with HIPAA.