Best device for handwriting into an electronic document?

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hi All,

I just had a quick question about Tablet PCs.
If anyone is familiar with them, what is the best one for being able to seamlessly hand write on?

Quick background on why I ask.
I work for a recruitment company and during interviews our consultants write notes onto a sheet of paper. They then have to scan the notes into the system and then acquire them to an application we use for managing candidates. This is a bit of a lengthy process and i have been asked if there is anything we can do to try and improve this.

So what i thought we could do was use a tablet PC connected to our network. Then we launch the interview document direct from the candidates file (we can do this) and then the consultant could simply write direct into the document (PDF or Word document).

Doing this would save us a lot of time.
Also before you ask typing into the document is not an option. We need to be able to handwrite.

I have no experience with this so any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I recall seeing a new Asus tablet coming out that had a stylus and could be used that way. The Memo I think it was. I've used a few of these devices previously. Currently you have 3 options.

1. A tablet (or slate) PC. Fujitsu and others make them with full writing recognition. Frankly you could get a 12" slate and load the app directly in it for writing. Make sure the technology used it Wacom for the pen/writing. This is the best way to go to get writing directly into the PC. Also, the most expensive as you're literally buying a laptop.

2. The Asus Memo, Acer has a device, an Ipad, or other such tablet PC would work as well. Each can use Onenote or other such writing recognition software. FYI, the Ipad isn't great for writing with a stylus IMHO.

3. A device like the Wacom Inkling, a Digimemo, or other such device. These devices are pens that write normally, but have an attachment that
    records the handwriting digitally. Then it can be uploaded to a PC and save as PDF or what not. If you need to have the interviewers write on paper and at the same time record what they are doing this is the way to go.

Hope this helps.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness