Options

Failed!!! ICND2

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
Ouch. Yeah the test hurt my pride more often. I only have to say "Wtf" for some of the questions.

Play-by-play: I got good vibes going through the first half of the test. Then came the question about VLSM, using a drop box - Yeah, not good. If that's illegal to mention, CBTNuggets already mentions that this would be the way that VLSM would be asked. I picked up the pace, doing what I thought I knew best - felt great about it (mostly). There were questions that I felt were obscure, and not even in my study material. Although, it might be in the third edition book, as I have the second edition.

There were a couple questions that I didn't think were correct. Actually, I know were not, and looked at my book right after the test to make sure. The question did not have the correct answer on it. More so it was a "Best" answer question involving NAT, anyone that took a CompTIA test will know what I mean by "Best" answers. I don't want to go further than that and risk the wraith of the gods. :)

I left comments for the questions that I felt incorrect, but I didn't want to leave comments because I wanted to make sure I had enough time to go through the test. Cisco reads the comments, so if you have a problem with a question, leave a comment.

Although,
I don't think yesturday was my day to pass the test either. Bad Juju. After the test, My Driver-side tire had a nail puncturing the tire, my fiance was driving and I heard a sudden metallic noise from the driver's side. We stopped off at the DMV and In the middle, on the tread when I got home. I had to drive back one hour to get a replacement tire. I couldn't buy a tire to fit the tread and it was 120 days before it could be delivered - all the while the air was still seeping through the nail. Anyways, all the money I was going to invest in buying material for my CCNA studies, went to paying for tires, 4 of them. I can't reschedule my test either yet icon_sad.gif

+1 to CCNA Attempt in signature.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just keep at it man. You'll get it. Even the best athletes have off days and that's what sounds like happened to you yesterday. I'm sorry to hear about the unfortunate car issues, but you'll have more study time to kill it on your next attempt. Cisco has a lot of educational games (even for droid and iphone users) to help with subnetting, binary math, etc. I took my CCNA in 2007, but I remember it being tough. Keep your head up.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I froze at the VLSM lab. I don't know why. I was doing the calculations and all that good jazz.

Giving up isn't something I know how to do :) Back to the books!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I froze at the VLSM lab. I don't know why. I was doing the calculations and all that good jazz.

Giving up isn't something I know how to do :) Back to the books!

That's what I like to hear. You got this.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    how many points did you miss it? if it was a close fail then set it up again in 2 or 3 weeks and concentrate on the topics you are weak in.
    in cisco exams never think as a "fail" if you didnt pass an exam think of it as an incrdibly expensive coaching session where you are shown your weak spots ...

oh and i guess i remember this vslm question you mentioned. really a tricky one!
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm glad to see you're not giving up! Good spirits is definitely the key. Other than VLSM did you do well on the other aspects of the test?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    692. How many questions I missed, or what I missed, I would've liked to have known. And here I have my CCNP book, Linux+ and the "How to win friends and influence people" book waiting for me :P

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Jump right back on the horse and get it done.
    Pick up another source of reading material and go through it. Maybe the Chris Bryant material or the CCNA Exam Cram book. Sometimes it just takes looking at the material from another angle.

Don't wait 9 years between attempts this time. :D
  • Options
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Jump right back on the horse and get it done.
    Pick up another source of reading material and go through it. Maybe the Chris Bryant material or the CCNA Exam Cram book. Sometimes it just takes looking at the material from another angle.

Don't wait 9 years between attempts this time. :D

I couldn't agree more about picking up another source of reading. I've done that for every test I've ever taken.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I definitely agree with other posters that you'll benefit if you were to pick up another book and give that a read. Sometimes just one source can be okay, also some authors just don't work for some people to absorb the information.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm sure you'll pass the test!!! I'm still trying to get the ICND2 after like a year and I really want to get the CCNP materials.
    Can you give us a score breakdown?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Long time between attempts definitely. But saying "I attempted CCNA" got me my current job, go figure :P He said he wouldn't have hired me if I said I had my ccna, when I didn't.

I didn't have a job to be able to afford another attempt. Even picking up odd-jobs, I ended spending money to keep food on the table or going out with friends and ordering 99 chicken nuggets >.> Thank heavens those days are done. I don't think my heart could take much more.

Fiance has the car, and she's an hour away at an interview. However, I will when she comes back.

What reading materials would you suggest? I already have the Official guide book, read cover to front, and front to cover and randomly picked chapters every day. I never liked reading until I jumped back into this thing, even on the days I didn't want to read, or study, I dragged my arse to do it. I'll re-read it again, I missed something, somewhere.

• Options
    ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
    Don't give up man! You just had a bad day. Review your material and focus on your weak points.
    The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I'd recommend running through the Cram Session materials from cbtnuggets. They had a deal where you could use everything on their web site for 24 hours for $24. I used 3 days worth before my CCNA exam and it had to have given me at least 100 extra points. You have access to all of Jeremy's videos as well as the Transcender practice tests and the SelfTest practice tests. If you run through all that you should do fine.

I will say you HAVE to be able to subnet quickly and understand VLSM in detail. I kep working on subnetting until I could look at an IP address and mask and pull out the range and the network and broadcast addresses within 10 seconds. And Jeremy's videos also go through this in pretty good detail.

The '31 days before your CCNA' book is also very valuable. It helped a great deal - I ran through it the week before my exam as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I already have CBT nuggets :P

I have Jeremy's CCNP videos (bought dvd) as well, they were just that good. I believe in giving money to people who earned it

I don't know why I froze up at the VLSM question. It was weird to me, that's all I can really say. It didn't seem like how I would VLSM the network. The drag and drop really was a drag. I wish I had the question and be able to break it apart, of course that's illegal and the like.

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't know why I froze up at the VLSM question. It was weird to me, that's all I can really say. It didn't seem like how I would VLSM the network. The drag and drop really was a drag. I wish I had the question and be able to break it apart, of course that's illegal and the like.

I practiced VLSM a good deal before the exam and it paid off for me. I've mentioned this site a few times, although no site is necessary--you can make up your own practice examples. Thing is, it's nice to have a site with pre-made scenarios and just go through them and practice. I got to where I could do each of these scenarios in less than 1-2 mintues, some much faster, and I had 100% on subnetting / vlsm on the exam. Might help, might not, but here is the link: Practice Subnet Skills: Design a VLSM Network
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    for vslm tasks where you have to assign ip ranges to subnets always start with the largest number of hosts and go down step by step till you reach the /30 point to point subnets and avoid overlapping areas.

its like playing tetris nerd style :D
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    I practiced VLSM a good deal before the exam and it paid off for me. I've mentioned this site a few times, although no site is necessary--you can make up your own practice examples. Thing is, it's nice to have a site with pre-made scenarios and just go through them and practice. I got to where I could do each of these scenarios in less than 1-2 mintues, some much faster, and I had 100% on subnetting / vlsm on the exam. Might help, might not, but here is the link: Practice Subnet Skills: Design a VLSM Network

i've never seen that website linked here. That's actually a really great place site. although some of the numbers are huge: 19591 hosts... :P

• Options
    The Boson practice exams are also a good source. They were very similar to the actual exam in both content and question difficulty.
  • Options
    I found the boson exam questions more difficult than the real test.
    I took them, and passed the exams though with a good bit of leeway.

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    i've never seen that website linked here. That's actually a really great place site. although some of the numbers are huge: 19591 hosts... :P

I've tossed it out in several of my posts--not because I'm trying to advertise for the place, but because I found it pretty handy. Anyway, yes, some of the numbers are huge, but once you get the powers of 2 memorized, it's very quick work to knock out. The ground rules they use are pretty much considered best practices (start with largest requirement and work down, etc).

The main thing is to be familiar enough with the process that it doesn't throw you a mental curve ball on the exam. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    It looks like you have a pretty good source of information as far as practice tests and videos, so I think you have that covered. I did not see the actual book(s) you used, but I found the Odom book excellent. So if you did not use that book I would purchase and read through the Odom ICND2 book.

Other than the book advice I will add one more piece of advice that I always tell my college age daughter and my son in high school - KNOW THE MATERIAL. I find both of them will tell me they know the material for the test, but they only know about 80% at best. They both constantly leave stuff out or say "there will only be one or two questions so why waste the time to learn (____)" - fill in the blank with whatever. You might be able to make an A or B on a class exam, but for these certs be sure and leave no stone unturned.

Look up my thread on here where I passed the composite exam a few weeks ago. I outlined the main things you really need to know in detail for the composite, but this should also cover the ICND2.

Again, good luck. I'm sure if you improve your VLSM/subnetting skills you will knock out the exam on your next try.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your retake. I took 3 tries to get it done as well so I know how that feels. As a wise man once said, "Git 'er done!" icon_lol.gif
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    scubagatorscubagator Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    692. How many questions I missed, or what I missed, I would've liked to have known. And here I have my CCNP book, Linux+ and the "How to win friends and influence people" book waiting for me :P

Another good Dale Carnegie book is "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" :)
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are you using for a lab? Equipment, etc? I know you think it kicked you, but it gave an opportunity to see exactly how the test feels. I hear that test is ruff, but I reading two years now and I have not taken the first test yet.. But when I feel I am ready, I plan you kick and kick until the dam thing s is mines. So what I saying makeup your mind that you are going to pass that dam test N do tha dam thing.
    Good Luck and look to see ing posting that you have passed!!
    I found the boson exam questions more difficult than the real test.
    I took them, and passed the exams though with a good bit of leeway.
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    47%, 50%, 73%, 50%, 50%

Fiance is beckoning. Can't type no more - happy VDay!

• Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Bummer. I'm sure it's a difficult test though. You'll feel all that much better when you pass it the next time around. :)
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    47%, 50%, 73%, 50%, 50%

Are these the scores for the various sections of the CCNA? I have not (yet) passed ICND2 and plan to test for the first time in a couple of weeks so take what I say with a grain of salt! But, those scores seem pretty low and might be indicative of more than VSLM (or one or two isolated topics) your struggling with. Browsing techexams and other sites there seem to be some pretty universal truths when studying for the CCNA.

Use more than one source, lab it up like crazy, practice subnetting till you can do it less than a minute per problem in your head. Take practice tests and time yourself. (personally, I love the boson exams for ICND1, was much more difficult than the actual test and expecting similar results for ICND2).

All in all, you are that much closer than before and just need to tighten those screws! Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Jpgonzal wrote: »
    Are these the scores for the various sections of the CCNA? I have not (yet) passed ICND2 and plan to test for the first time in a couple of weeks so take what I say with a grain of salt! But, those scores seem pretty low and might be indicative of more than VSLM (or one or two isolated topics) your struggling with. Browsing techexams and other sites there seem to be some pretty universal truths when studying for the CCNA.

Use more than one source, lab it up like crazy, practice subnetting till you can do it less than a minute per problem in your head. Take practice tests and time yourself. (personally, I love the boson exams for ICND1, was much more difficult than the actual test and expecting similar results for ICND2).

Jpgonzal. You're quite right, and im glad someone had the balls to say "You suck" :P
    I thought the same thing when I seen my scores. It's why I wanted to know what did I miss. I didn't care about the answers at that point, but more so "What". Like I said, I had a good feeling throughout the entire test. I wasn't complicant - although, I almost did make two mistakes right away in the first two questions because I was thinking "easy peazy lemon squeezy". But then the second read over, and glancing I seen "Okay, that's not the answer. I need to slow down."

The Scores:
    47 -Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
    50 -Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    73 -Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices.
    50 -Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    50 -Implement and verify WAN links.

I have a feeling that I bombed the simlets more so than anything else. If memory serves me correctly, which make up for the most points.

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jpgonzal. You're quite right, and im glad someone had the balls to say "You suck" :P
    I thought the same thing when I seen my scores. It's why I wanted to know what did I miss. I didn't care about the answers at that point, but more so "What". Like I said, I had a good feeling throughout the entire test. I wasn't complicant - although, I almost did make two mistakes right away in the first two questions because I was thinking "easy peazy lemon squeezy". But then the second read over, and glancing I seen "Okay, that's not the answer. I need to slow down."

The Scores:
    47 -Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
    50 -Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    73 -Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices.
    50 -Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    50 -Implement and verify WAN links.

I have a feeling that I bombed the simlets more so than anything else. If memory serves me correctly, which make up for the most points.

Hi!!!!!

I suggest that you do a lab in packet tracer that covers everything as possible but Frame Relay. Frame Relay is very difficult to configure on Packet Tracer even though there are videos on youtube. There is a PT lab on Packet Tracer 5.3 labs that will be helpful for Frame Relay.

So I suggest:

First make a template in Packet Tracer with multiple routers, switches, computers, and servers.
    Make a network with multiple routers that use OSPF and or EIGRP. If all routers are OSPF, then switch over to EIGRP on the same routers.
    Use the different interface features with OSPF and EIGRP
    Router on a stick (inter vlan routing) off one router (don't use the multilayer switch) with VLSM
    Switchport security - restrict, shutdown, and the other one. I can't remember right now.
    ACLs (physical interface and vty using both inbound and outbound directions / use standard and extended ACLs) on each router
    NAT (set up two webservers one for DNS and one for the actual website)
    VLSM and SLSM
    Try to use ip-helper
    Set up IP DHCP (try setting up dhcp with VLSM on the router that is using inter vlan routing)
    Try using authentication for OSPF and EIGRP
    PPP with the different types of authentication
    Using the multipath variance with EIGRP (unequal path varience load balancing) - I think it's called that
    Configure vtys (with usernames and passwords)
    Use multiple switches and play with the different switchport/vlan/stp/VTP features
    Check out the different outputs and debugs for the routing protocols, PPP CHAP, VTP, and so on
    Try out setting up the "key chains" on the routers.

*Have someone break your stuff so you can troubleshoot it
    *I actually have a lab that uses most of this stuff so I would be happy to send it to you so you can get an idea what I'm talking about.

*I honestly believe that this set up will help you out because you have to configure everything and troubleshoot. Troubleshooting will be more difficult because you have to go through more layers of configurations to try to figure out what is going on. So hopefully you'll get a better understanding and you'll remember things better. I know this type of lab would seem very overwhelming and it can be. It takes a little while to configure everything! It takes a long time to troubleshoot somethings. Plus PT (packet tracer) doesn't always work. I know that some of this stuff that I suggest isn't even in the objectives but they're still good to know.

Somethings I can't remember right now. I hope someone can correct me for some of the things but I think you can understand what I'm trying to say.

I hope what I suggested can really help you out.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i failed icnd 2 second time
    5 july 11 score was-804
    21 feb 12 score was-762

i had to rush through questions because 13 question and 11 minute remaining
    1 question i took lot time
    my score
    73-vlan
    63-ip addressing
    67-routing
    50-nat and acl(this time i got same as previous so i have to concentrate on this)
    67-wan
    i have to focus on some therotical like vpn and ipsec