Internet connection drops!

shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi

In our MD's house, we have fibre optic connection given by the ISP upto Distribution box inside the house where the fibre optic cable is connected to HUAWEI-ECHOLFIE HG865 terminal .From the RJ 45 port in that device , the ethernet cable goes to the DLINK 8 port switch. All the 8 ports are connected with ethernet cables to 8 rooms going concealed through the wall.

Our ISP person tested the connection by connecting one patch cable (from the DLINK SWITCH via the wall socket)to the WAN port of LINKSYS WRT300N wireless router and connecting other ethernet cable from the lan port of the router to the laptop ,setup the username ,password, encapsulation pppoe and configured the internet .found working.

I tried to configure the wireless in the house by fixing LINKSYS access point in some rooms.Here the problem started.

I cannot fix the LINKSYS router inside the DB in front portion of the house since there is no space in that and cannot keep the linksys router outside also,
So I kept the linksys router inside one room and connected its lan port to the wall socket inside the room and connected its WAN PORT to one of its lan port because I want to share the internet in all the rooms.

I checked the internet in all the rooms by taking one laptop to all the rooms and checked through the access point configured in each room.

After few minutes internet drops and the led's in the LINSKYS router start continuously blinking as if there is some problem

What is the problem and how can I rectify it?
Thanks

Comments

• dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Wow... there is a LOT of problems in that configuration, IMO. First off, the patch cable from the HUAWEI-ECHOLFIE HG865 RJ-45 port should go into the WAN side of the router. Then a patch cable should go from the LAN side of the router to a port on the 8-port switch... this will give the rest of the house access to the internet (or at least it should, given that the router is configured correctly). The problem is... you have both the internal and external network going through the same switch. You most likely only have 1 IP from the ISP, so the first device that hits the DHCP server at the ISP is getting an address, which kills the other devices, hence the need for a Router that does NAT translation. :)

Edit: The likely scenario is that with your router connected to the switch via LAN port and your WAN connecting to the LAN on the Router, it's handing itself a DHCP address, instead of getting the connection from the ISP.
  • shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi dustinmurphy

Thank you for your suggestion and actually the same configuration you suggested has been done already by keeping the LINKSYS router outside the DB and connecting the HUAWEI to linksys WAN and connecting the linksys lan to the dlink switch on a temporary basis because LINKSYS router cannot be kept outside that is the constraint should be followed.

If I understood correctly the concept , the fault which I did is WAN port of linksys router - which is a separate broadcast domain and switch back plane of linsksys router - a separate broadcast domain are converged into a single broadcast domain.............Isn't it?
    Thanks
    Hi dustinmurphy

Thank you for your suggestion and actually the same configuration you suggested has been done already by keeping the LINKSYS router outside the DB and connecting the HUAWEI to linksys WAN and connecting the linksys lan to the dlink switch on a temporary basis because LINKSYS router cannot be kept outside that is the constraint should be followed.

If I understood correctly the concept , the fault which I did is WAN port of linksys router - which is a separate broadcast domain and switch back plane of linsksys router - a separate broadcast domain are converged into a single broadcast domain.............Isn't it?

Essentially, yes. You were connecting the router to itself... which makes the WAN link a member of it's own LAN broadcast domain. The WAN side of the router needs to be connected to the broadcast domain of the ISP. Plugging the ISP link into a switch gives that broadcast domain to the switch. Unfortunately, you only have 1 available IP address on that broadcast domain, which allows 1 device to take the IP. If that 1 device is NOT the WAN side of the router, you will not be able to get any of the devices (except the one that took the IP address) on the internet.

If you cannot put the router where the ISP link is... you will need to drop another line to wherever you want to have your router... so that one port is linked to the ISP, and the other is linked to the switch. (not sure why a switch can handle being in the DB, but the router can't... but only you know your setup)
    Hi dustinmurphy

Thank you very much for your clear & precise explanation in terms of networking concepts and clarifying my doubt.
    Thanks
    No problem. Always glad to help. :)
    Hi

Again another clarification needed!

For the same post which I posted in another forum ,I got the answer like follows:
    So you connected the WAN port on the Linksys router to one of its LAN ports? Is it giving itself an IP address, and setting itself as its default gateway? If so, as soon as something decides it should use it, you have a loop (assuming the Linksys doesn't stop this through use of its own routing table). If there is another router, jus connect your LAN ports on the linksys into the rest of the network, give it a unique IP address and disable its DHCP. This will allow it to act like a switch/AP.

Is this similar to your answer ?
    Please help me !
    Thanks
    Hi

Again another clarification needed!

For the same post which I posted in another forum ,I got the answer like follows:
    So you connected the WAN port on the Linksys router to one of its LAN ports? Is it giving itself an IP address, and setting itself as its default gateway? If so, as soon as something decides it should use it, you have a loop (assuming the Linksys doesn't stop this through use of its own routing table). If there is another router, jus connect your LAN ports on the linksys into the rest of the network, give it a unique IP address and disable its DHCP. This will allow it to act like a switch/AP.

Is this similar to your answer ?
    Please help me !
    Yes, however you don't have another router on your network, so just connect the WAN side to the RJ45 coming from the ISP, and the LAN side to the switch. :)
    Hi Dustinmurphy !

Thank you very much for your reply and to extend the wireless range in the home , instead of purchasing wireless access points which are costlier almost double the price of the linksys router WUSB54G, I purchased two numbers of the same router and configured to work as access points disabling their DHCP which I didnot mention.

If I enable the DHCP in one of these two routers and disabling the DHCP in LINKSYS N MAIN router initially I mentioned, will this solve the issue?

Please advise me!

Now it is running in the mode which you told but I am asking this question due to that router can be kept outside the DB for long period
    Thanks
    Hi Dustinmurphy !

Thank you very much for your reply and to extend the wireless range in the home , instead of purchasing wireless access points which are costlier almost double the price of the linksys router WUSB54G, I purchased two numbers of the same router and configured to work as access points disabling their DHCP which I didnot mention.

If I enable the DHCP in one of these two routers and disabling the DHCP in LINKSYS N MAIN router initially I mentioned, will this solve the issue?

Please advise me!

Now it is running in the mode which you told but I am asking this question due to that router can be kept outside the DB for long period

No. Your WAN side has to be connected to the WAN link, period. If it's connected to itself, it will not be able to route to the outside. Like I said... if you can't have it in the DB, you'll need to drop a line near one of your other ports inside, so that you can connect the WAN link AND LAN link.

You definitely don't want multiple routers handing out DHCP. You should have 1 DHCP server on the LAN. Your main router should work for that, but you HAVE to link the WAN link to the ISP network, it CAN NOT be linked to itself.
    Can you please explain why the internet disconnects after few minutes?

I understood that THE WAN PORT SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO THE ADSL MODEM AND THE LAN SWITCH CONNECTED TO THE LAN PORT OF THE LINKSYS ROUTER. And also the setup works like that only without any problem.

But I want to know what makes internet work for few minutes and disconnect after that?

And you have mentioned that " If it's connected to itself, it will not be able to route to the outside." My question is if it is not be able to route to the outside , then how internet works for few minutes . Please explain..... so that I can understand
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why it only stays up for a few minutes. Is all equipment good? Maybe you need a firmware upgrade? I had this problem once with a router... replaced the router, and it worked fine.
    It's a brand new router and is there anything to do with UPNP setting in the router since one guy from another forum gave this clue to check with UPNP disabled.

But at present there is no chance for me to go to the premises and check .
    Thanks
    It's a brand new router and is there anything to do with UPNP setting in the router since one guy from another forum gave this clue to check with UPNP disabled.

But at present there is no chance for me to go to the premises and check .

Without being there to troubleshoot, it will be pretty much impossible for me to be able to tell you what's wrong. Check for firmware updates. I once had a router that didn't work out of the box... did a firmware update and it worked. (granted, it was a Netgear router, not Cisco/Linksys).

I've only had one other router that would work for a few minutes, then drop... as I said... I replaced it... and the problem went away.
    Hi

Thank you for your reply and as I told before the isolated WAN PORT and lan port combination works without any problem
    Thanks
    Hi

Thank you for your reply and as I told before the isolated WAN PORT and lan port combination works without any problem

No problem.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you said that even with it setup properly, you were still getting internet dropping.