AD User profile Migrations

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Guys,

I need a little guidance on this. I am given the task to migrate user VDI desktops from our current domain towards the new domain. The new domain has our new users that are not related to the current domain users. Basically I need to take the virtual desktop thats on Domain A... with user A and move it to Domain B to user B. However I need user B to have the user profile of User A. So I have been looking and see ADMT but it says I have to put it with a SQL server??? what's that all about. Is there any way I can do this a little more simple and quicker? I need the users documents and things like favorites etc to transfer over..

Comments

• themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Use the windows migration tool. Have User A in Domain A log in to the computer, use the migration tool to back everything up to a network share. Then switch the domains, have User B sign in and use migration tool to reload from the network share.

Now that is time consuming so if you have a lot of users it might not work the best. There is a lot of 3rd party software out there that can this.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    From my experience the windows migration tool is extremely slow and I cannot stand using it. If you only have a small amount of profiles to transfer I would say it is a good option, because it works really well. But if you have a lot of users to transfer like the previous poster said, it would be very time consuming.

At my shop when we we're upgrading workstations to windows 7 (over 3000) we used a script called "vistasavestate". Basically it would upload all the profiles from a workstation to a network drive and when we wanted to put the profiles on the upgraded machine, we would use "vistaloadsate". This took about a tenth of the time the windows tool took. Now I am not sure if this is built into windows or the script was written before I got to my shop, but it worked really well. I believe something like this would be the best option for you. I guess I should find out more about it when I go into work?

Regardless of which way you do it (Windows tool, 3rd party software, script), make sure you delete any profiles on a workstation that aren't being used anymore. This will greatly speed up the process!
    Never stop learning.