Options

Netpict - Free network diagram tool

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
After reading a couple of posts again about people looking for a simple network diagram tool I decided to salvage the network diagram portion from a project I buried amongst other unfinished project and prototypes, and turn it into something useable for TE members: Netpict

Features:
  • Create network diagrams using popular Cisco icons.
  • Save network diagrams to share with other Netpict users (.vnm extension, can be attached in our forums)
  • Export network diagrams to image format (png, jpg, gif, bmp)
  • Crop image exports to a suitable size for forum posts
  • Discover network devices automatically using traceroute and ping subnet scans.

Check the Netpict page for more info and some example results.

Some notes:
It originally supported only 5 icons and is not designed to support (custom) libraries of icons. I am however willing to add some more manually based on feedback from members here, in particular those working on Cisco certifications, so let me know if you're missing a few.

Except for adding some icons and probably some bug-fix releases I won't be committed to updating/expanding this application, we won't offer support (by email, contact form, etc), and it will probably remain in alpha status. Besides a lack of interest in developing for Windows I just don't have much time to spend on it. It's based on a project I started 5-6 years ago and isn't very suitable to built on further. At the same time it was somewhat of a waste not releasing it as it is because back then I did put quite a few hours in it and I think it should be useful to some.

For example, to post your lab network topology. Not that the pics ever get boring, it would be nice to see something similar with topologies. Netpict asks to crop image exports, making them suitable to insert in posts (use .png if you do).

Download Netpict (v.002a - 1MB): (Download)

(requires .NET Framework 3.5, installs on setup)

Enjoy! :D

Comments

• Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Thanks Webmaster.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks! I'll definitely use this! It's a great visualization tool. I also use DIA and Visio, but this looks pretty simple and sweet. :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So far it's working great for me. At first I wonder why I would use it since I own Visio, but this is so much more simplistic that it's perfect for my CCNA studies.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you like it.

Some additional info: it's currently limited to 32 icons per map, which includes zones and linkers. That limit was set 5+ years ago and I'm pretty sure it could handle more on modern PCs so I may increase that in a future built. However, with the current version it is possible to create maps with an endless amount of icons. Following is just an example:

1. Create a bunch of zones, save map to .vnm, then export map to .png (don't crop)
    2. Start a new blank map, open Map properties and set the map from step 1 as the BackgroundImage
    3. Add icons+connections and export to image.

Instead of just zones in step 1, icons and connections can be added just as well, and if needed connected with icons in the 2nd (or 3rd, etc) layer by using a linker. The BackgroundImageprop is 'not' saved. It's more a workaround than a feature but it works, just remember to save the .vnm separately for each layer and use a title only on one of them.

Another tip, to replace icons
    : select an icon in the map, then right-click another icon in the Icons section to replace the one in the map. This is particularly useful to change the icons after a traceroute or ping scan, as it assumes everything is a router or computer. (will add his to quick help)
  • Options
    I just uploaded v0.0.2a Netpict (v.002a 1MB) (NOTE: v.001a users may have to uninstall manually first)

No new features/icons in this version, but fixed a major bug saving maps (thanks veritas_libertas for reporting!)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nice, thank you!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    When will it support SNMP? icon_wink.gif

UPDATE: Can you make a pre-designated line type for each connection type? For example, a solid black line for UTP straight, a dashed black line for UTP cross-over, solid blue line for roll-over, solid orange for fiber, green lightning bolt for serial, red dots for wireless, etc. That would save some time when drawing connections.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    When will it support SNMP? icon_wink.gif
    When Windows 8 or later becomes extremely popular for tablets and phones :) As I mentioned in my initial post I'm not going to continue development on this besides necessary bug fixes and maybe some minor and quick (manual network diagram drawing related) improvements - like your other suggestion: Yeah I could link the color and style to some predefined connection types as you described ("lightning bolt" style connections is a different thing, maybe if I get really bored in 2013 icon_lol.gif). I see it doesn't remember the line style of the previous created connection unlike the color... I made some changes so it saves your own connection style and color preference for predefined connection types (to which I added "Fiber") only. For custom types/labels it will remember the last use connection color and style. The connection "Type" label is somewhat of an inaccurate artifact, it should simply say "Label". Will publish this in 0.0.3 soon/a few days, in case anyone got something else to add.

Thanks!
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    A version that works with windows 8 would be good.
    I couldn't get Netpict002Alpha to work on the consumer preview

I'll try again on windows 8 when you release 0.0.3

If you are adding pre-designated connection types could you add
    optical connections and sfp , sfp+ , cfp and gpon.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Can confirm it works on the latest consumer preview of windows 8.

The installer auto grabs the dot net 3.5 installer , got blockd the first time, then worked fine the second.

Netpict gets installed and the icon appears on the start screen. Works very nicely including the scans/trace route
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great! I'm sure this will get used to death! :)
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    chri5tianchri5tian Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent tool, love it! but please increase the 32 icons per map limit. Diagrams i draw are rarely less than 32 devices. Please let me know if I can help in anyway. I'm a network engineer. :)
  • Options
    chri5tianchri5tian Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And as you already mentioned, custom icons support would be a great feature. The ability to import Visio stencils maybe? :D
  • Options
    v0ltair3v0ltair3 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great tool, congrats :)

Nevertheless, to be perfect for me, I would just request you to add a free text box so we can add some notes

Thx for sharing
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    My thanks to Webmaster for this very useful app; cheers man, my best regards to you.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Going to check this out, thank you.