FBI could take down internet on March 8th

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bokeh wrote: »

The internet will change in big ways the next 5 years. Governments just cant stand a free speech medium and want control of your brains and values so you sign up to policy. Amazing how so many interesting youtube postings have fewer views than the last time I looked at them..LOL

Time to become HAM's again guys. It's what the Russians did to get real news for years..
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    The internet will change in big ways the next 5 years. Governments just cant stand a free speech medium and want control of your brains and values so you sign up to policy. Amazing how so many interesting youtube postings have fewer views than the last time I looked at them..LOL

Time to become HAM's again guys. It's what the Russians did to get real news for years..
    Whoa.... Did you read the article? I'm not even disagreeing with your worldview, necessarily, but it has no pertinence to the article. The FBI was issued a court order allowing it to replace malicious DNS servers to which a common piece of malware was pointing infected computers. The FBI will have to shut down if the court order is not extended, which in turn prevent name resolution (and, as you know, most Internet-based services) from functioning on the infected computers. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech or government censorship of the Internet.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Whoa.... Did you read the article? I'm not even disagreeing with your worldview, necessarily, but it has no pertinence to the article. The FBI was issued a court order allowing it to replace malicious DNS servers to which a common piece of malware was pointing infected computers. The FBI will have to shut down if the court order is not extended, which in turn prevent name resolution (and, as you know, most Internet-based services) from functioning on the infected computers. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech or government censorship of the Internet.

Well thank god for that. Meanwhile I will be investing in radio.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This has no affect on those not infected with the malware mentioned in the article so the internet would not be potentially shutdown on that date.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    This article explains the situation more clearly: FBI Prepares to Shut Down DNSChanger Temporary Servers, Infections Remain - Security - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

Personally, I wouldn't mind suffering the fallout if all of the Malware-infected hosts everywhere were knocked off the Internet. If a host has any significant purpose, it would be a wake-up call to the host's owner to fix/upgrade their junk (e.g., Windows 95 fax servers and Windows 2000 POS systems).
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't mind suffering the fallout if all of the Malware-infected hosts everywhere were knocked off the Internet. If a host has any significant purpose, it would be a wake-up call to the host's owner to fix/upgrade their junk (e.g., Windows 95 fax servers and Windows 2000 POS systems).

Agreed.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Agreed.

Me too. But it's utopian and won't happen.
    Turgon wrote: »
    Me too. But it's utopian and won't happen.
    Well, there's no mechanism that can make it happen. It's just wishful thinking.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□

I know that I am sleepy but reading the above I have the feeling that POS in Windows 2000 POS does not really imply Point Of Sale :)

However, I do agree with either interpretation of your sentiment.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

That was my thought - Consumer NAP enforcement lol
    TheShadow wrote: »
    I have the feeling that POS in Windows 2000 POS does not really imply Point Of Sale :)

LOL - that made my day / morning :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You know, I hope they do it. Unfortunately if they do, people will blame them, and not who's really at fault here. They put these up to give companies infected with DNSCharger time to get rid of it and fix the problem. They've had a year to do it, if they haven't done it by now, it's no one's fault but their own.
    TheShadow wrote: »
    I know that I am sleepy but reading the above I have the feeling that POS in Windows 2000 POS does not really imply Point Of Sale :)
    I did mean Point Of Sale. icon_lol.gif Windows 2000 is actually one of my most favorite OSes.

I stayed at a hotel last year that had its reservation system running on Windows 2000 (as revealed by the screen saver). And that's not a bad thing if the POS is not directly connected to the public Internet. I doubt that the POS company is still paying M$ for licenses for an unsupported OS.

Windows XP is now 10 years old, so I can't complain too much about anyone using really a really old OS.
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    This article explains the situation more clearly: FBI Prepares to Shut Down DNSChanger Temporary Servers, Infections Remain - Security - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

I can't agree more. A year is plenty of time to get your systems cleaned out.
  • Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□

Thank you this article was much clearer than Yahoo's "FBI Taking down the Internet".
  • fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just read another article posted on this site about anonymous shutting down the internet.

what is up w/ everyone shutting the internet down?

who's next? santa claus or easter bunny? come on ppl!
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    First time I've heard of ipconfig.exe being used as a Malware detector. Move over netstat.exe! icon_lol.gif
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First time I've heard of ipconfig.exe being used as a Malware detector. Move over netstat.exe! icon_lol.gif

netsh and net use... they never saw it comming
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: