Options

Tricks for NAT terms?

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm confused with the NAT terms and i want to ask if anyone out there has their own way of conceptualizing the terms. In my notes I have the following.

Inside Local Address: An address of a device on the local network, expressed using its normal local device representation.
Inside Global Address: This is a global, publicly-routable IP address used to represent an inside device to the outside world.
Outside Global Address: An address of an external (public Internet) device as it is referred to on the global Internet. This is basically a regular, publicly-registered address of a device on the Internet.

So, basically:

Inside Local Address: Sender's address as seen by the local network
Inside Global Address: Sender's address as seen by outside network
Outside Global Address: Receiver's address as seen by outside network (not sure of this one)

Confusing. Please explain using simple terms!

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Inside: Anything you control
    Outside: Outside of your control.

Local: Before NAT, Locally Significant. Private Addresses. "Tracert 10.0.0.1" in windows to find out that it's blocked by your ISP.
    Global: After NAT, Globally significant. Addresses that were handed out for the internet

Ie:
    Inside Local Address: Locally Significant Address. Usually a private address. (192.168.0.1)
    Inside Global Address: Global Significant Address. Private Address turned into the Internet Address. (192.168.0.1 turned into 12.0.0.1)
    Outside Global Address: Global Significant
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    alexotecalexotec Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Inside: Anything you control
    Outside: Outside of your control.

Local: Before NAT, Locally Significant. Private Addresses. "Tracert 10.0.0.1" in windows to find out that it's blocked by your ISP.
    Global: After NAT, Globally significant. Addresses that were handed out for the internet

Ie:
    Inside Local Address: Locally Significant Address. Usually a private address. (192.168.0.1)
    Inside Global Address: Global Significant Address. Private Address turned into the Internet Address. (192.168.0.1 turned into 12.0.0.1)
    Outside Global Address: Global Significant

Thanks very helpful!