Ideas on cheap ways to get certifications?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
With the deflation of the dollar and other currencies I was thinking about starting a thread about sharing your experience with low cost ways to get a certification. Whether it be free books, (not illegally downloaded), or practice exams or cheap/free vouchers or even up coming beta exams.

My goal is to consolidate the ideas of others who have found ways to help off set some of the cost.

I know for ITIL you can go to Taruu and take practice exams and read through the website to learn about the framework.

Another ITSM best practice site International IT Service Management best practice guidance

With the purchase of a used book from Amazon and the exam voucher from Prometric you can get the whole thing done around 200 usd.

Just wondering if anyone else had any other ideas for different business or IT certifications?

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Free or low cost useful stuff is always useful to know. But I think you might find this thread goes off in all sorts of directions. Many certifications out there.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually get my books from ebay and it usually works out to half the price of the new copy.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some employers and schools offer access to Books 24x7, that is a great way to get access to some study materials.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some employers and schools offer access to Books 24x7, that is a great way to get access to some study materials.

Good point! I forgot all about that resource!

Thanks
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Kindle has their lending library to share books. I'm sure folks here could pass along books to others as well if they are not needed.

MS has a program now buy one test and they will donate one to someone in another country.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Bokeh wrote: »
    MS has a program now buy one test and they will donate one to someone in another country.

Because off-shoring isn't happening fast enough already?
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Always check your local library, you'll very likely find applicable books to whatever certification you are doing. That's my number one resource. Number two is online documentation whether it be TechNet, VMware whitepapers, or blogs from respected authorities on the subject.

Though not applicable to all certifications; virtualization is useful to a wide variety of certifications. The more machines you can cram into one piece of hardware the less you have to shell out to build up your lab environment.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    One thing to consider when trying to study for a cert on the cheap is that, long before the days of certs, the only real way to learn about anything technology-related was to read white papers and cobble together articles written by other professionals and researchers. This kind of approach could definitely work for many exams, (but perhaps not all. . . then again, when you're hitting that kind of wall you probably have an employer willing to bankroll the training and test(s).)

You could always go through the exam blueprint for whatever test you're studying for and look up each topic on Microsoft's TechNet, Cisco's DocWiki, etc., and read through the howto's and other documentation you find online. While it's not as straightforward as reading a book (or two) and following a set curriculum, it can certainly be a lot more in-depth and teach you a whole lot more to go digging through documentation and articles that go over EVERYTHING rather than following what a particular author feels you should need to know about the various topics.

The price (free) not withstanding, nothing makes you feel quite like a bad-ass as telling people, "What book did I use? Psshh, please. I just read white-papers and labbed it out." icon_lol.gif

** Edit **
    I almost forgot. Some great examples of online-resources to use in lieu of a book or videos can be found on this very site. Have a look at Claymoore's threads in the Microsoft forums, for example.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    This is what I've done in the past (and still do to some extent), actually teach various courses (including Microsoft stuff) at colleges and universities with the understanding that I'll have access to Continuing Professional Development.

I also make the case at work that certain development is vital, which it is.

Network, network, network with people. Did several courses paid for by the local Government and in return I've become a trainer for them, delivering FITS.

It's not always easy, but what I can't payout in cash, I can payout with time and energy. Going back to the bartering system :)
  • bertstarebertstare Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The way I look at it is none of the cert's I'm chasing after are near as costly as my University studies so I have no problem buying a book or two, videos, or whatever else I need.

Edit: I find the harder thing to justify is actually the opportunity cost rather than the cost of study materials. What I mean is say I'm studying for Project+. Should I instead be spending my time with CAPM materials? Or learning more about microsoft project, or gaining more networking knowledge. This is where my dilemma always lies.
    bertstare wrote: »
    The way I look at it is none of the cert's I'm chasing after are near as costly as my University studies so I have no problem buying a book or two, videos, or whatever else I need.

Edit: I find the harder thing to justify is actually the opportunity cost rather than the cost of study materials. What I mean is say I'm studying for Project+. Should I instead be spending my time with CAPM materials? Or learning more about microsoft project, or gaining more networking knowledge. This is where my dilemma always lies.

I believe there is more value in the CAPM and Microsoft Project than Project +.

Honestly if I had to stack them up I would list them like this (purely qualitative)

MS Project (This is huge if you know the toolset you become extremely valuable). I support, train, and recommend MS software at the moment and not many people in an organization know this tool. If you can learn how to report off of it and set baselines etc you will become extremely valuable.
    CAPM
    Project +
  • bertstarebertstare Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »

Honestly if I had to stack them up I would list them like this (purely qualitative)

MS Project (This is huge if you know the toolset you become extremely valuable). I support, train, and recommend MS software at the moment and not many people in an organization know this tool. If you can learn how to report off of it and set baselines etc you will become extremely valuable.
    CAPM
    Project +

I actually created the same order of importance as you did. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread though lol, my point was that at this point in my career I don't think the dollars I spend on study materials is as important as the lost time if it turns out I've been studying material that I don't end up ever using. Maybe this won't be the case once I am in my 'dream job' or a job I consider a place I want to be long term. Once I am in that position though I will probably know what material I need to study, and time won't be wasted.

In my limited experience though I've found it too difficult to learn a technology from free resources. Especially microsoft products. Using technet can get you quickly discouraged as it's rather intimidating and in depth if you're completely new to the technology. I prefer to introduce myself to technologies with an easy to read book, and start to master it with free materials such as technet.
    bertstare wrote: »
    I actually created the same order of importance as you did. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread though lol, my point was that at this point in my career I don't think the dollars I spend on study materials is as important as the lost time if it turns out I've been studying material that I don't end up ever using.

No way, the material you studied will be stored and used when you land your PM position. I understand your theory, but I think it's not all wasted cost, you gained value. For instance the terminology you speak in a interview will benefit you greatly and I am sure you picked up some terms while studying for project +
    Maybe this won't be the case once I am in my 'dream job' or a job I consider a place I want to be long term. Once I am in that position though I will probably know what material I need to study, and time won't be wasted.
    I think the jounrey you have gone on so far will help in the long run. It taught you what not to do and sometimes those are the best lessons learned.
    In my limited experience though I've found it too difficult to learn a technology from free resources. Especially microsoft products. Using technet can get you quickly discouraged as it's rather intimidating and in depth if you're completely new to the technology. I prefer to introduce myself to technologies with an easy to read book, and start to master it with free materials such as technet.

Thanks for sharing your strategies.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    What about MS student certs?
    Are you a college student?
    if so, I think MS still has those certs for students that are like 40% off
    meh
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108

CAPM
    Project +

Hey N2IT,

Howdy?

Which of the MS Project versions do you think is worth learning?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I will second Technet. While I believe MS Press books are the most effective way to study for MS certifications, there is in fact no required topic for any MS certification I've ever looked at that isn't fully documented on Technet.

I will also agree that MS Project is a great tool. We've only scratched the service of it at work, but it has already provided major improvements over using just the project module in Connectwise (our PSA).

Other great sources of cheap study material are Half-Priced Books, eBay, Craigslists, and forums like this one (eg, I've seen cert material on Anandtech FS/T a few times). You sometimes have to do some digging, but it can be worth it. You can also do the community a favor and sell your own material. I've read that some people like to keep it as reference, and had that thought myself, but the truth is I've never had a real need for any of my material after finishing it. I've sold or given away all of my Comptia material and will soon do the same with my Server 2008 material.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    newmove wrote: »
    Hey N2IT,

Howdy?

Which of the MS Project versions do you think is worth learning?
    I would go with the most current version (2010) and try to get the professional version. I believe there is more reporting. But honestly I am not a Project wiz at all. I consider myself really good with the core MS suite tools and I am beginning to get better at Visio, but Project I am below average. I can add deliverables and set up a GANTT chart, but as far as reporting and the other features I just don't have enough experience.
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    I would go with the most current version (2010) and try to get the professional version. I believe there is more reporting. But honestly I am not a Project wiz at all. I consider myself really good with the core MS suite tools and I am beginning to get better at Visio, but Project I am below average. I can add deliverables and set up a GANTT chart, but as far as reporting and the other features I just don't have enough experience.

Thanks mate!

My dilemma is which to learn between MS Project and Primavera. I'm interested in getting myself set up for roles in Project Controls and understanding these robust tools are of paramount importance.
    newmove wrote: »
    Thanks mate!

My dilemma is which to learn between MS Project and Primavera. I'm interested in getting myself set up for roles in Project Controls and understanding these robust tools are of paramount importance.

MS Project at least in the states is the defacto standard for scheduling and cost management. It's nice because you can cost out the deliverable with in the tool. You can set baselines and manage the whole project, the only issue I have had with it is using the reporting. It reports like Access more than Excel and I think most agree generating reports is a heck of a lot easier in Excel than Access.
  • HarmenHarmen Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are lots of resources in internet. You can find many tips and tricks by following some of the blogs.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Harmen wrote: »
    There are lots of resources in internet. You can find many tips and tricks by following some of the blogs.

Way to resurrect a thread from 2012. TechExams has a sticky for free/reduced cost certifications and trainings: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/94746-free-reduced-certifications-free-reduced-training.html
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Geez, new here and respawning two threads in the space of two minutes. Nice job!
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And it didn't even add any information whatsoever.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    What I want to know is, whatever happened to Turgon, and did they ever complete their CCIE....

Not gonna lie, I like thread necros so I can reminisce lol.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Jojo, you are a horrible human being icon_smile.gif

I think the worst necro I've seen here was 10 years.